NEWLY DIAGNOSED

Options
skitzy
skitzy Member Posts: 180
edited January 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi all

What a shock when I got called back after a routine mammogram, I had to go to Nambour where they did an ultrasound & 2 core biopsies, they told me I would have a good idea before going home if it was cancer.

There in the waiting room other ladies had their names called for results, but when my name was called the DR actually said to my husband  "would you like to come too" as you can imagine it could have only been bad news. As we entered the room the DR said "you already know don't you". my reply was I guessed as nobody else's husband was called in.

I was diagnosed with a 2.2 CM invasive lobular carcinoma & told to return the following Monday, it was then I received the green folder with information for myself our GP & the surgeon.

I am due to have a bone & body scan on the 27TH Jan with a mastectomy on the 10TH February.

What a great support this BCNA website is with all the information available & the other ladies who have or are going through this journey too.

Comments

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi and welcome to the site, it is such a shock when you hear that word and you think is the doctor talking about me it must be a mistake. This site is full of people who are at different stages. Every ones treatment can be so different, visit often and ask or vent away this is what the site is for. One day at a time your life will be filled with appointments. Ask the nurse for the my Journey kit or you can order here. Take carexx

• ScorpionQueen
    ScorpionQueen Member Posts: 768
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yes Skitzy, it's a shock indeed!

like you I am newly diagnosed too.but I  have found this site a great support already

We've  got your back!

-Tracy

stay strong | breathe | believe

???????

• skitzy
    edited January 2016
    Options

Ty Rowdy for the warm welcome. I have now received the my journey kit, what a fantastic idea without the support It provides I do not know what I would have been like. Hope you are going well. xxx

• skitzy
    edited January 2016
    Options

It sure is a shock Tracy one minute the tears flow the next I seem to be able to forget it's there. xxx

Eileen

• donnafischer
    donnafischer Dragonfly Posts: 144
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yep, its a lot to take in isnt it, and funny how a lot of us "know" its not good news. My boss is my gp, and I had the mammogram and ultrasound the same day and was booked for the biopsy then next morning. I know the day of the mammogram and ultrasound because my boss rang me that night. The head radiographer rang him and told him what was happening. I know the way my boss speaks and listening to his voice I thought, Yep, this isnt going to end well.

Isnt it bizaare how different the treatments are. I've not had any scans its simply wide local excision with sentinel node removal. Then radiation depending on the path result. They couldnt properly identify the type of cancer from the biopsy. I'm so very lucky that mine has been caught so early. And i think that's what is doing my head in a little. There's no typical treatment plan. Everyone is different. I thought i'd be having PET scan and all sorts of things.

• Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi Skitzy, welcome to our group, sorry you find yourself here. Having your husband by your side must have been a welcomed support when you received the news. While my hubby  couldn't be with me when I first found out and had to go through the CT and bone scans, I am so grateful he is now by my side. Wishing you both well and sending positive thoughts your way.

Nadine

• skitzy
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi Donna

I must admit I am not looking forward to the bone & body scans, I hate confined spaces. The breast cancer people at Nambour said mine would be a WLE with SNR too. But when I saw the surgeon he thought a mastectomy would be the best option for me. Wishing you well for your journey.

• skitzy
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi Nadine 

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Being on your own when diagnosed must have been really hard for you & I am glad that you now have support. I will also be sending positive thoughts & prayers for you both & for all the other ladies on this site.

How did you find the scans?

Eileen

• Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi Eileen 

The scans were time consuming because they need to give you stuff beforehand but fine. For the CT scan they had me drink about a litre of fluid an hour before the scan. No big deal. For the other I had an injection which I didn't even feel. For the bone scan they put you on a table then they position a plate close to the different parts of your body and you breathe normally. Both were pretty straight forward and took about half an hour if I am remembering correctly. I found it was good for me to know the results of these before I had surgery as we then knew what we are dealing with right up front. My tumour was 1.9mm and scans showed that because of the size it hadn't spread to anywhere else in the body which was a relief. Funnily enough the scans also highlighted all the arthritis I had in my body! Now I know what I had such sore elbows! Good luck with it all. All the best.

Nadine

• skitzy
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thanks Nadine

I feel a bit better about the scans after reading your post. So glad to hear that your tumour had not spread. Wishing you well.

Eileen

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited January 2016
    Options

Sorry to hear you have joined us Eileen but we aren't such a bad bunch really and we're good company. My initial reaction on the surface was shock but underneath was a seething anger how dare this happen to me. Its ok to scream at the world in here. We're with you.

• skitzy
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thank you Brenda I am just happy that you ladies are such a big comfort to me &  I have just said to my husband what a blessing this site is & how much better it makes you feel.

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi there

Welcome to the site but sorry you have had to join us. It is a shock and a roller coaster ride. It is surreal. Take each day and each appointment one day at a time. Ask lots of questions to your health professionals and take someone with you to your appointments if you can. And just remember you will get through this. All the best with it all. Karen xox

• K.J.
    K.J. Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi Eileen. Welcome to the worst club in SEQ... Sorry you had to join us but now that you are here, welcome to a pretty amazing sisterhood.

I got my diagnosis in November (I was on my own because I thought I was ok!) and after a lumpectomy, subsequent mastectomy and my first round of chemo, I still don't believe it's happening. 

You will have good days and bad days and you will have to learn to be REALLY nice to yourself but if you just keep putting one foot in front of the other you will eventually get to the end.

I am lucky that I have a great support network and excellent medical team but it's the ladies on this site that have got me through some of my worst days. Stay in touch with us, don't be frightened to ask questions, put on your war face, baby and get ready for the fight!

We will all be here every step of the way xo

• skitzy
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thank you for the good advice Karen I am trying to remain positive. All the best to you. xx