The night before the ultra

Jane-Altona
Jane-Altona Member Posts: 39
edited January 2016 in Health and wellbeing

Hello,

A little bit of an update. After the final pathology report on 23/12 & the news I was going to be doing chemo I laced up my running shoes on Xmas eve, the first time since the op, and went for a slow run. It was wonderful.

I was told by the surgeon I could run the ultra & start chemo straight after. As long as I made sure the boobs didn't move about! So I have doubled up the bras, worked hard & will make the start line tomorrow. Very nervous & excited.

Dont know what chemo will bring, but I plan to try & be kind to myself & lower my expectations. Hopefully I can run a bit & set myself some little goals. I start on Thursday, FECD.

Have had my hair curt short, pixie style & changed the colour, platinum blond :). It's awesome. 

I love reading all your posts, you are all truely inspirational strong women. 

Jane 

Comments

• Tracey62
    Tracey62 Member Posts: 298
    edited January 2016

Wow! Jane, I'm impressed. Running a marathon after surgery. So important to hold on to your sense of self through all of this. Good luck for the race (hope the 2 bras holds things nice & tight ??). Certainly being strong before chemo will help. Will be thinking of you on Thursday, keep in touch, Tracey ??

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,113
    edited January 2016

Hi Jane,

So happy to read you are doing what you love. I can't wait to hear how you went. We are all cheering for you :)

~Ann-Marie x

• Marlee
    Marlee Member Posts: 105
    edited January 2016

You are awesome - good luck for the run

Being so fit will help you through chemo. Try and exercise when you can but like you said lower your expectations. Some days I could walk 5km, some days only 10m but I was not as fit as you (nowhere near)

Running marathons has also given you a very strong mindset (I see this with marathon runners I look after in labour), draw on this through chemo too.

You can do this and when you need to vent drop back into this forum :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    edited January 2016

Bloody awesome! Sending you a mega cuddle xxx??????????

• Kazzi
    Kazzi Member Posts: 263
    edited January 2016

Hi Jane,

You're amazing.  I've always been a bit of a runner, shuffle along, but never a marathon.  I kept my walks up during chemo and started running again during rads (last Sept) My radiation oncologist is a bit of a runner too and advised me to wear an extra singlet under my bra to prevent friction rubs on the chest wall.  My hair's now grown back to a pixie cut.

You are inspirational, all the best with the chemo. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, just run through it.

Karen xx

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited January 2016

Jane I have to share with you, my older sis in law had really bad breast cancer 16yrs ago and she actually was a marathon runner.

She had the whole works in treatment including radiation which did burn a bit of her lung as the cancer had been so deep.

She is now over 60 and although she's not running in the open marathons any more she does go in some of the older age bracketed ones and doesn't do too bad. So there is lots of life after breast cancer!

• Jane-Altona
    edited January 2016

Thanks Brenda. It's nice hear these positive result stories. It's a weird disease, you can be feeling really fit & healthy but told you have cancer. And it seems the cure is what makes you sick!?

Trying to treat it like a marathon, the goal is to finish in one piece, don't think to far ahead & deal with the immediate.

Im keeping an eye on your posts as you seem to be exactly one week ahead of me in chemo.

Take care & keep up that walking as much as possible. 

• Jane-Altona
    edited January 2016

Thanks for the advice about the singlet! Glad to hear you are running again. Must admit I'm going to be a bit sad to lose my new pixie cut as I love it. But it will be something to aim for :-)