Breastfeeding bra post-bc surgery

Tish
Tish Member Posts: 13
edited January 2016 in Health and wellbeing

This might be trivial for most, but at the moment it's important to me:

I am looking for a breastfeeding bra that is also a mastectomy/post surgery bra. I had two WLE's (lumpectomies), on my left breast in 2009 and am now 32 weeks pregnant with my first child.

I plan to breastfeed. My breasts are currently very uneven in size, as the bc affected one is small (due to a large amount of tissue being removed) and the non-affected one is large and from what I have been told is going to get larger.

I am looking for a bra which I can use for breastfeeding on the right breast but has a pocket for a prosthesis on the left side.

I have hunted on the internet but have been unable to find anything suitable. If you know of any manufacturers of post-cancer breastfeeding bras, please could you let me know?

With more younger women being diagnosed, and the possibility of pregnancy after bc becoming more likely, I think it's something that needs addressing.

I have looked into adapting one of my own bras, but as post-bc bras are quite expensive, I'm hesitant to start chopping them up and sewing. I can work a sewing machine, but I don't think I am proficient enough to do fiddly bra work.

Thank you.

Comments

• Emma H
    Emma H Member Posts: 48
    edited January 2016

Hi Trish

Congrats on the impending arrival. Kids are the best thing ever ?

You can get maternity bras with removeable padding....you may be able to adjust those to floor the prosthetic? Target etc have these and they are cheap so if it doesn't work not a huge cost..

• Chorsell
    Chorsell Member Posts: 462
    edited January 2016

Congratulations on your approaching arrival...

thinking outside the box here.... Would a bra that had removable straps (I.e straps that unhooked at the front) be an option? 

Probably not ideal and might be a bit fiddly juggling a baby to undo do up.. Or else an ahh bra might work as they are a bit more stretchy ... 

Or I found this - it might work - it was a maternity bra with pockets for washable nursing pads

http://www.amazon.com/Nizo-Wear-Comfort-Nursing-Removable/dp/B00EDX7TWM

good luck xxx

• mbb
    mbb Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2016

Hi Tish'

I was in David Jones looking for bathers. The assistant told me if they did not have bathers to suit me they could put a pocket in normal bathers for me.I would think they could do the same with maternity bras. Would be easer to do than alter you mastectomy bra.

all the best ,

Margaret