A new chapter

adean
adean Member Posts: 1,036
edited December 2015 in Health and wellbeing

Hi girls it's been such a while since ive chatted to you guys. I've been trying to dig myself out of a rut the last few months been quite down, along with my other illness PRV which is a form of leukemia, I now am on oral chemo daily possibly forever and that has zapped all my oomph. 3 weeks ago I shut the door at work and said to my boss I'm out of here I cannot possibly do this anymore! after 27 years in aged care I've left whether it be permanent or just a break I will decide, for once I will be number one. On my last day my staff cried, I said be happy for me I want to go, many told me of the impact I've had on them and they strived to be like me. Lol. That was touching. I'm so excited to start a new chapter, today I regrouted the shower, ha ha I can do whatever I want. And it feels damn good.  Adean xxxx

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited November 2015

Hi Adean:) It was so nice to log in and see your post!!! Good on you for walking away.I feel that sometimes we just know what we have to do,and in that moment we need to act on our thoughts!I have been a foster carer for many years now.I did it right through my treatment,and it was ok.But lately I am starting to have thoughts of what it would be like to just think of me,or just to be able to do ' only what I want to do'.My time is coming,and I am going to give it up soon.Stay in touch Adean :):) Cheers Robynxox

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited November 2015

Thanks Robyn , I've missed you guys and loved your article in the beacon magazine. Adean x

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited November 2015

Hi Adean it must be a nice feeling to finish at work. I'm trying to hang on for another 12 months and then I'm going to reduce. I have booked leave so I'm not working for any more than 2 months at a time, I think I can survive if I have lots of breaks. In Hong Kong at the moment visiting my daughter it has been so nice just to chill by the pool and have a few drinks, not looking forward to going back to work but off again mid January. Good to hear you are putting yourself first, take carexx

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,315
    edited November 2015

Hi Adean, 

good for you. Enjoy your retirement or semi-retirement, whatever it turns out to be. You are right, some times we have to know when enough is enough. 

Hugs. 

Paula xxx

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,935
    edited November 2015

Hi Adean

Congratulations on making the decision and time for YOU.  Working in aged care for 27 years has meant a big load, physically and mentally so I do think you have done your fair share !

Be at peace with the decision and take each day as it comes.  Don't look back and if one day you decide to return to work then it can be under your terms - and not necessarily in the same role.

Enjoy !

Summer   :-)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    edited November 2015

Hi Adean, I also resigned from my job when I got sick. Now I'm working towards my new second chance at life. I'm running a resume writing service, and it's slowly growing as a small business. My paintings are also selling well, and with my other volunteer work in the community, my life is very full. I hope that your new life is full of joy and love. Sending you a big cuddle, Trace ??????

• Jennybutter
    Jennybutter Member Posts: 156
    edited November 2015

Hi Adean, 

Sometimes you have to make the decision to look after no.1 good for you, and it sounds like you are happy with that, a lot of the time change is good for you and now you can do as you please like regrout your shower. So lovely that after all of those years of devostion to others that the staff inspire to be like you, beautiful compliment to a fabulous career.

I wish you all the best. Be happy.

Cheers Jen ?? ?? x 

• Pink66
    Pink66 Dragonfly Posts: 366
    edited November 2015

It is a huge step to leave something behind that has been part of your life for so very long. But I can see from your post that your decision is right for you and you are already finding the 'new you'.  so hugs to you

cheers, Sharon

p.s  when you finish grouting I have a little bit you could do here too :):):)

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited November 2015

Hi Adean, nice to see your post. Good on you for making a change to look after YOU.I did the same thing 4 years ago- left work,downsized my house.At the time I told people I was having a gap year but I never went back to nursing.I still pay my nurse's rego cos I can't quite let go of my profession. I am busier than ever doing for the family and volunteering in the community.Enjoy your time out - you deserve a good rest.Hope your health improves. Love Tonya xx