Forum Discussion
Anonymous
11 years agoNot applicable
Rads finished, what next ?
Hi Everyone, finished my last radiation appointment today. All the staff at radiation unit were so lovely, cuddles and well wishes all around, including my radiation oncologist and the breast care nurse. What a wonderful bunch of people, as they must deal with such sick people and see dreadful illnesses, however all of them are so kind and gentle, and explain your treatment so well. It was like saying goodbye to a family. My husband and I had a 5 hour drive back to home, and talked about the funny feeling of moving forward into the new normal. It's actually not seemed real a lot of the time, dealing with surgery, chemo and radiation. I'll be starting on Arimidex tomorrow, so that will be interesting. Luckily, I have my art to keep me moving forward with a couple of commissions to complete, also I'll be helping people with writing resumes and application letters from home. It's a good start. I have cording in my armpit and am in the process of seeing a physio to break that up. My lovely hubby has also paid for me to see a personal trainer, so that I can work on becoming fit and well again. What a year ! BCNA has been such a comfort to me, and I have made connections with members that have made a great difference to my self esteem and attitude. Thanks and big cuddles to you all, just remember you are all awesome, Trace ????????
15 Replies
- RosemarycMember
Hi Tracey
Hope the side effects are controllable by exercise and diet and supplements. All the best.
Let me know how you go with you bone scan.
Pray that they are strong enough. ??
- AnonymousNot applicable
Hi Jane, thanks for your support, we have a great network don't we. I'm very keen to get started, with so many thoughts going through my head. I said to my hubby this morning that I have so much yo do, but am a bit muddled as to what order to do it in. I'm sure that I'll figure it out eventually LOL. The good weather the last couple of days puts everyone in a positive mood. Keep smiling, sending you a cuddle, Trace ??????
- AnonymousNot applicable
Thank you, I'm just going to take it 1 day at a time. My hubby has pumped up the tyres on my road bike, and knocked the cobwebs off it as well LOL. Will pace it as I feel able. Sending you a hug ????
- Jane221Member
Hi Tracey, so great to hear that you have finished radiation, and I can understand that bitter sweet moment of saying goodbye to those people who have looked after you so well during your treatment. The kindness and generosity of people you meet along the way help to make the whole ordeal bearable, and now when I think back to the chemo and radiation days I can smile and remember those people who were so kind and caring.
That's great that you are seeing a physio about your cording and lymphodema, they can make such a positive difference to how well and how quickly you recover. The physios I've seen since treatment have greatly helped me self-manage my lymphodema (as much as possible), helped me with core strengthening exercises to regain my balance (didn't realise just how off balance I was after my mastectomy!) and advised me on the type of exercises I needed to do to slowly recover my strength and mobility.
Best of luck starting on the Arimidex, I hope it goes well for you, and keep posting your amazing artwork! Jane xx
- mum2jjMember
Congratulations on finishing. Well done, it's a hard road at times but you seem to have travelled it gracefully. Rest up and be kind to yourself. Don't rush into the training. Slowly does it.
Hugs.
Paula xx
- AnonymousNot applicable
Thanks Adean, I'm trying not to think about the what if and how many check ups. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time, as that helps me to think more positively. Well done for tossing out that post surgery bra, I'm looking forward to getting to that stage. Warmest wishes, Trace ??????
- AnonymousNot applicable
Hi Rosemary, thanks for your support. My tumours were oestrogen reactive, so the oncologist has started me on Arimidex, which is an oestrogen suppressant. I've been advised that I might get stiffness in my joints as a side effect, also I'll have to take calcium and Vitamin D. I'm booked in for a bone scan, and may need to go onto some sort of osteoporosis supplement depending on the results of the scan. I'll have to take Arimidex for the next 5 years, so hopefully all goes well. Big hugs, Trace ??????
- adeanMember
Well done Tracey ,time to rest up ,I found the finishing of radio was quite emotional too. No more appointments and that frequent people around you feeling. Happy times but strange feeling times. I wish I rested a little more after ,I do agree you tend to feel a little flat after the fact. My husband was concerned about how long before the next check up was as he found me being in the system constantly was a bit of a safety net. When all my burns healed I gave away all my creams and eventually got rid of the post surgery bra, another milestone. Isn't it amazing looking at where you began and where you are now, well done hope it's up and up for you. Regards adean
- RosemarycMember
Tracey,
Congratulations for finishing treatment and hope Arimidex won't be a problem. Is it a kind of hormone therapy? How long do you need it?
Good that you are moving forward with arts and exercise. All good for our spirit and wellbeing. Let us know how you are travelling.
Hope you enjoy your breakfast with your husband today and celebrate well. Hugs. ????????
Rosemary
- AnonymousNot applicable
Hi Rowdy, you're one of my inspirations, with such good advice and support for all members on the network. I will take my time over the next couple of weeks and try to settle into whatever happens next. Love and laughter with you, Trace ??????????