post cancer diet

Options
maryroset1
maryroset1 Member Posts: 240
edited August 2015 in Health and wellbeing

Since my bc diagnosis laat year i have been looking into whats the best diet in order to reduce the chances of recurrence. From what i have learnt its best to eliminate sugar, artificial sweetener,  red meat alcohol and soy products which i have discovered is in pretty much everything.  Has anyone else made significant changes to their diet? Would love to hear about your experiences. So far we have made attempts to minimise our sugar intake but its been quite challenging to get the family on board.

Maryrose

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi:) After chemo I did a course on nutrition at RPA in Sydney,specifically for after cancer .Fresh fruit and veggies,plenty of ' red' berries,lots of wholemeal ,stay away from preserved foods,such as ham and other things from the deli,because most of them contain nitrates ,which are not safe.Bacon is not good either! Try to drink mainly water,and don't overdo caffeine,because it can strip calcium from your body.Dont add salt either.I don't beat myself up if I don't get,it right all the time,but I DO try to eat properly most days.And of course the other important thing is daily exercise... Walking will do:):) Take care.Cheers Robyn xox

• HIT
    HIT Member Posts: 261
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hey I'll answer you know.  Diet dilemma??? Since when did food become a fashion.  I have a disabled daughter, she is now 27.  So for the last 25 years I have been going through the diet dilemma.  Thought I had come up with answers - but then I got BC .... big let down.  But seriously I do think my cancer was caused by stress as I face more children with health probs.  And they weren't caused by diet!!!

I read a good book years ago- cindi o'meara changing habits changing lives.  She has a big web site. I agree with a lot of her principles.  I am going completely against todays healthy principles - going back in time.  Good luck with your quest.

Pam

• jaycia02
    jaycia02 Member Posts: 64
    edited August 2015
    Options

I was 22 months refined sugar free when I was diagnosed and I have to say that the fairly clean diet did appear to make it easier for my body going through chemo, unfortunately the hospital food was the worst and I had to relax my personal comfort levels everytime I was admitted. I'm not perfect and think that whole foods 80/20 rule is pretty realistic because some nights you are so stuffed that dinner is going to come out of jar or a box. But like Robyn said don't beat yourself up about it if you slip up.

I've got children as well and they don't eat as cleanly as us but they are improving. They are learning to substitute the heavily processed foods with better options and to make things from scratch themselves so they know what is going into it. We play a game in the supermarket when they are choosing lunch box items, they have to find things with the most real ingredient, words that they understand on the ingredient labels, minimal or no numbers/scientific names. 

Keep persevering as some improvement has to be better than none at all. A couple of websites you might want to try for inspiration:

http://draxe.com/section/recipes/

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/start-here/

https://iquitsugar.com/recipe/

There are also the Organics Sisters on facebook and another ok site is Mind Body Green

• maryroset1
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thanks jaycia. Thanks for the info. I will try the supermarket game with my daughter. We are trying to cut out as much processed food as possible. For example i make my own muesli bars now which are delish.. the family go hunting for junk food and its changing their mindset which is proving difficult.

Thanks any improvements we make has got to be a good thing..

Maryrose 

• mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi there I have settled into a new tack which is I try to avoid coming from a fearful place so I still eat kale but not like it's going to somehow save me. Seems like every decade I've made a few modifications ie more veg..less meat.less sugar...-and after bc less alcohol ..bacon and a few other things try to go organic or less additives...I haven't banned food groups as I've always enjoyed my food and haven't been overweight so modifications it is for me...

• maryroset1
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Mona 

I enjoy my food as well. I have a sweet tooth making it so hard to cut out sugar all together. My goal is to minimise sugar intake most of the time and try and reduce processed food where possible.  Thanks for your advice.

Maryrose 

• Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Mary Rose, Jess from BCNA here. I just wanted to jump in to say hello and i hope that you are finding your way around the network - if you did need a hand with anything, please just let me know.

I also wanted to let you know that BCNA have a information booklet on healthy eating which might be helpful. If you want to have a look you can find the booklet here: Healthy eating and breast cancer booklet.

~ Jess