TO GREEN OR NOT

Options
HIT
HIT Member Posts: 261
edited August 2015 in Health and wellbeing

Hello Ladies

reading lately about the nutri bullet and smoothies.  As soon as I was diagnosed I amped up my healthy routine - smoothies juices exercise etc, confidence so high. 8 cycles of chemo. confidence down, I was not well. 

Got diagnosed with an hereditary thryoid thingy (harshimotos(?) just after chemo, while in radio, even though we haven't had it in our family.  My count was way out there - the docs actually rang me the day after blood test to come straight down.  Yes panic, panic to find out I just needed tablets (had a car accident on way down!!)  But when I was googling this came upon a few articles that raw greens can cause thyroid ....  so ....  this sent my confidence tumbling.  

What is the right thing to do .  still don't know.  Started cooking greens first - kept up with the rest.  January this year came down with a rash after hercepton.  They think its a muscle wasting disease that 25% of people get cancer when they get diog... Havent got the muscle wasting but the inflammation sets off all the post chemo probs.  Confidence divebombed, Stopped excercising, stopped smoothies, classic slug!!!.  

Reading your stories, so many of you feel better than ever, trying to get my confidence back, trying to get back to excercise, the "super diet. (I am a high vege fruit eater - cause I like them).    Post treatment over a year (hercepton March).  Why aren't I feeling better?  Anyone out there who took a while to get over treatment?  Or is this my new normal.

Pam

Comments

• maryroset1
    maryroset1 Member Posts: 240
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Pam. I can relate to what your going through. I finished my treatment in november but find i am struggling to get fit and healthy again. I had lost alot of weight before my diagnosis but put it all on again during treatment. I am finding it hard to keep motivated. I get up in the morning and i am tired before i do anything. I think it takes a while to get over treatment. Take care

Maryrose 

• Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hello HIT, my name is Jess from BCNA.

I just wanted to jump in and say hello/welcome and to also let you know that we have a group in the online network called 'Get active and keep well' where members seek support, advise and tips from others who know how hard it can be to get moving after a diagnosis of breast cancer.

If you wanted to find out a little more, or have a look, you can find and join the group here: https://www.bcna.org.au/online-network/groups/get-active-and-keep-well

If you need any help in the online network at all, please just get in touch and let me know.

Jess x 

• HIT
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thanks Maryrose

I can say that after reading your reply, the waking up tired has gone.  So thats something hey.  I lost 20kgs during chemo.  Kept it off till the rash early this year, was put on cortisone for it - and put 7kgs on just like that.  Since I've come off the tablets I have put another 7kgs - yeah slugishness does that hey.  One day we will get over it yes.

Pam

• HIT
    edited August 2015
    Options

Oh and Mary rose after losing 20kgs I still wasn't skinny!!  Bit chunky I still am.  (78kgs)

• maryroset1
    maryroset1 Member Posts: 240
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi again.  Not sure whether its a tamoxifen side effect but i eat so much more than i used to. The waking up tired can also be from interrupted sleep due to hot flushes. Bought new mattress on the weekend hoping that will help.  

Maryrose 

• HIT
    edited August 2015
    Options

I didn't have hormonal so aren't on any of those meds.  Only her2.  Still woke up tired.  And my appetite increased so much after chemo, funny hey.  Allways thought it was the thyroid.

Pam

• mumflo
    mumflo Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Pam

Yep I'm still getting over it all. I finished with active treatment September last year and like you my thyroid failed me. Unfortunately it took awhile for me to be diagnosed with Hashimotos.  Both my Oncologist and GP kept telling me I just needed to recover from the chemo so took awhile to get a diagnosis and start treatment. 

It might help to get your thyroid levels checked again because that can leave you feeling pretty ordinary. I've just had mine rechecked and needed an increase in my thyroxine. You may need your thyroxine dose adjusted and it can take up to 6 weeks to see a difference. 

I walk every day and watch what I eat, I tried a few diets and even a juice fast and the weight is sticking to me like glue so have decided that everything in moderation works for me. Can also highly recommend the encore program by the ywca.

I wish you all the best.

Fiona

• HIT
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thanks Fiona

You know the thyroid thing still doesn't make sense to me.  I was really cold/tired amongst other things  for the last two chemos.  Started radio pretty much straight away after chemo and was starting to feel better.  Then went to Doc (onc request check for diabetes) 3 weeks into radio (Tues), blood test Wed, and the doc surgery rang me Thurs to come straight down. (Receptionist couldn'tell me why on phone) I had a small car accident on the way - as you may imagine I was stressed!!!  Got there and my whatever count was very high --- and take these tablets.  To say I was angry would be an understatement.... Anyhow took the tablets, and I don't feel any different!! Went back and got checked again 2 mnths later - just a tad over - no need to adjust.  Went back again 5 mnths later - just a tad over -  no need to adjust. - During all this I have had trouble with a rash - it inflames everything and sets me back - dermatitis doc is undecided what it is.  But now I know where the thryoid is I am sure it swells up during the rash outbreaks - and I get alot of thyroid symptoms.  Takes quite a while to recover.  So I havent had this rash since 23 June, next month I need more tablets so will have it checked again. We'll see.  Maybe I'm kidding myself.  Oncologist appt in 2 months I'm already writing my list of questions.  Might be a long appt.

Sorry you copped an earfull - I just don't understand all of this - and understanding is very important to me.  But I'm prob trying to understand the un -understandable .... oh well

Pam