Facing Fear of Recurrence

Options
deh
deh Member Posts: 79
edited August 2015 in Health and wellbeing

Just a few thoughts.

Sometimes I think that fear of recurrence is the biggest challenge to face, after bc diagnosis and treatment. It affects us all differently, at different times.

When it preoccupies my thoughts, I try to put it in perspective and calmly remind myself that I am a survivor - before my head spins out of control! I often find a brisk walk or some exercise relieves any stress before it has a chance to take hold.

If I need reassurance, I will share my worries openly with people I trust and generally find their support really helpful. If I haven't seen my GP for a while, I'll book a checkup, discuss any worries I'm having and go away with a practical plan. 

Sometimes I'll discover a new resource, or just read a post through the BCNA network, that gives me a new strategy or idea to try. It helps me reduce my fear, by thinking about it in a bigger, real life context. It changes the way I focus on it, so it's more manageable and has less negative impact on me and my feelings.

I feel like bc is life-changing because it teaches us so much about our vulnerability and our resilience. I feel more experienced and more empowered to face the future. I feel more hope and happiness in my heart.