Day 7 after first chemo

Options
Maria333
Maria333 Member Posts: 191
edited May 2011 in Day to day

Day 7 doing fine, just tired. 

A sick child at home for two days and a sick elderly mum. So I spent more time at the Dr. for them instead of me. Both viral in their case, don't know how I have pulled thru. without any bugs due to all the hugs my son(6yr) has given me.

Have had an itchy scalp today,no hair loss as yet - thinking I should invest in a moisturising shampoo. That will be my next mission. Wait till I ask shop assistants and see their facial expression. (Cheeky I know.)

The bloated feeling was due to not relieving my bowels enough. Also snacking when I felt nauseas. Felt like a full term pregnancy. So in turn this was pressing on my lungs and making me tired and breathless.

I bought a very expensive bottle of nail polish to help strengthen the nails (as suggested) has to be applied daily for 5 days then removed to let the nail bed breathe for two days.  Then you start all over again. Not that I have ever been a nail polish gal. I have also heard to wear a black or chocolate brown nail polish which stops the sun from filtering through and erroding the nail bed further.

Hoping to do a pilates class tomorrow seeing as I missed last week with my son at home.

Comments

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Maria

My oncologist has recommended black nail polish for when I start Taxotere - I'll give it a go.  She said they think the nail problem is related to contact with sunlight hence the black polish.  I'm not a nail polish girl either - have hardner on too but I don't like the feel of it though my nails look quite healthy.

I hope you continue to not catch the bugs.  I got a cold last cycle but fought it pretty well. Just a lingering cough.

One down!

Amanda xx

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Maria

I used a nail hardener when I had the taxol and I had no real problems with my nails. Had a lot of ridges on them which are now nearly grown out and under the nails had some strange flaking. I wore the - 32degree gloves every time so am not sure what helped but got away relatively unscathed.

Your hair won't fall out until about day 16. I used baby shampoo the whole time I was bald and up until a  week ago when I used " real" shampoo again. I have lots of short tight curls now! (last chemo was Dec 9th).

Good luck with the rest of your treatment and hope you stay well.

Sarah

• louiseg
    louiseg Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2015
    Options

I used nail polish on both my finger and toenails throughout my chemo and didn't lose any nails at all....I didn't use black though!  I think the darker the colour, the better but mine was just a dark pink.

I also got ridges in my finger nails and toenails and they are still growing out of my toenails (last chemo 29th Dec).

Sarah, you are right about the time that your hair falls out and I also used baby shampoo (still am!). I'm going to the hairdresser on 27th May for a cut and colour - I don't have much hair but it is growing at different speeds and I could do with a tidy up!  I'm hoping to be able to go "wig-less" soon :)

Maria, I would try to avoid bugs if you can!  I know its hard with a sick child but when we have chemo it knocks our immune systems about quite a bit and you may end up getting quite sick if you catch anything.....

Good luck with the rest of the treatment

Louise :)