tumor markers

Options
sammy1970
sammy1970 Member Posts: 28
edited July 2015 in Health and wellbeing

bone secondaries since 2012 cea has creeped up to 10 my onglogist rang me and she said she isn't worried ca 125 tumor perfect I seemy onglongist Tuesday she had no time to to ring me yesterday but she said everything isok for some reson worried . can anyone please help help thankyou I hope everyone is travelling well god bless love sam xx

Comments

• Pink66
    Pink66 Dragonfly Posts: 366
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Sammy, try not to worry..  the tumour markers are just that, markers..  They can be an indication of something going on but can also sometimes be other things in your body showing up and waving for a while..  if this is your first blood test where the cea has snuck up a little and all your other numbers are OK.. I can see why the onc is not too worried but would have wanted to touch base with you just so you knew...  I would think they will keep an eye on you and if it rises again perhaps do a scan to see if there is anything to find out about.. also so you would be aware that if anything changes you would let them know..

I am sending you a hug because it is a knifes edge we live on and it is damn hard sometimes

It is easy to say but I try to live by it myself (especially as a super turtle!! living with secondaries) - it is nothing until they say it is and until (or if) they do then I will deal with it then.

seriously LARGE turtle hugs coming your way xoxoxoxoxox

• sammy1970
    edited July 2015
    Options

so do you think tumors markers are unrealiable abit I haven't had tumor markers on for two years and had a full hysteromy in November last year and change of treatment she thinks my breast cancer will stay in the bone I don't know how they know this hope you are going really well turtle hugs to you lv sam xx

• sammy1970
    edited July 2015
    Options

thankyou I forgot mention had full hystercomy last November and change of treatment from new bone seconderous she hasn't had tumor markers on for two years but she told me she isn't concerned about it travelling anywhere else I think I just need to trust her her phone call to tell me not worry everything is okay but she seems to think its from change of treatment and im naughty I smoke  because I cant handle it hope you are tra

• Pink66
    Pink66 Dragonfly Posts: 366
    edited July 2015
    Options

I wish I could give you a simple answer but markers do what they do..  It is only as part of the bigger picture that any onc will act..    with no tumour markers to go off for 2 years, it is tricky to know how yours work as yet xoxoxox

• YvonneM
    YvonneM Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hello there Sammy and all.  I too worry every month about my tumour markers and have had a good chat to my onc about them, as it seemed  every month they went up.  I got panicky because I thought my cancer was getting worse.  She explained to me that whilst they are not discounted TMs are only a part of how our cancer is managed and as Pink said they are just markers.  TMs can rise with changes in medication and other changes in our bodies like an infection. The best thing to do is to ask you onc to explain about them for you that way you will be less anxious when you see any changes.  I know it helped me and now every month I go through my blood tests for each item and try to look at the whole picture.  My onc also explained that they use how I feel as a guide as well that way they are treating ME rather than just what is on paper.  I hope that helps a little ...Yvonne

• sammy1970
    edited July 2015
    Options

thankyou all for supporting me had my ongongliost today and she isn't worried as defferents labs that do blood tumors markers change just have to let her know with any bone aches that don't go away keeping an eye on the tumors markers every 6 months know  and maybe another bone scan then thankyou for your amazing supportssing sam xx

hope you are all well ble