anxiety, depression, tears +++++++++++++++++++++

Options
murielwhite
murielwhite Member Posts: 7
edited July 2015 in Health and wellbeing

Hi out there in BC land!   I have just passed my 1st anniversary of BC.  Like a lot of women I find the anxiety and worries hard to deal with.   I did go to a councillor but didn't find it very helpful.   I find the best people to talk to and share are friends who also have BC.   That's my experience anyway, some may find it helpful.   The thing that sets me off is when I hear about ladies who have mammograms and ultrasounds and are told that they are fine when they are not!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Unfortunately I have come across a few of them.   I have just watched an old copy of Australian Story "A life laid bare" about Lisa Poulos who had 2 mammograms and 2 ultra sounds and was told there was no problem and she fought on as she was convinced  that there was a problem.   She had BC in both breasts and ended up having them both off!!!   Its difficult but we battle on and hope that it will get better.   Best wishes Muriel

Comments

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Muriel

funny you should bring this up. I was only talking to someone yesterday about the number of young women I've met who have been told that they couldn't possibly have cancer because they are too young but have persevered with demanding scans and mammograms and, low and behold, they have cancer. Some have been stage 4!   I'm a firm believer that we know our bodies better than anyone else and if you believe there is something amiss, you need to keep on it if you think there is something wrong. 

There is always going to be cases where it's not picked up by the usual testing. Medicine is not an exact science unfortunately. 

Karen

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Muriel, I, too, have depression and anxiety and can understand where you are coming from. My good friend struggled for a few years with a sore neck and a rash that her doctor couldn't get rid of. Finally when she sought a second opinion she was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma Stage 4. Apparently the 2 symptoms she had were classic symptoms of the disease. She is still battling on with, now trialing a new treatment. It's very upsetting and I always get down when I hear of these things. Doctors are human like the rest of us, but these are people's lives they are dealing with. Hope you feel better soon, it's so hard sometimes, take care, 

Hazel xx

• LisaS
    LisaS Member Posts: 68
    edited July 2015
    Options

You know what? I now avoid reading those stories. They don't help and put the fear of God in me. I don't see how they help at all. Used appropriately denial is a good thing.

• scotty
    scotty Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Muriel, yes the anxiety is dreadful!! I have went from being a high functioning ex nurse retired due to severe arthritis to a nervous wreck I hate the way I am now. My nails are bitten to the quick I have piled on weight due to comfort eating have nothing in common with anyone now unless they have had or have breast cancer every ache and pain makes me wonder?? is it back I too saw a councellor USELESS!!!!!!!!! I go walks with my dog but don't like to socialize any more sometimes I wish I had never found out about the BC it was there for 8 years before they found it well sorry all for moaning off for a walk with my best mate, the dog Christine xxx