Eleven years on and non cancer complications surface!

Options
Custard
Custard Member Posts: 417
edited July 2015 in Health and wellbeing

Recently I have been experiencing crippling and excruciating right sided lower back (buttock) and groin pain on the opposite side of my Left mastectomy, which was performed in June 2004. To help me since this started at Easter this year I have been prescribed many types of anti inflammatory medication, cortisone, painkillers ( including morphine), and undergone X rays, Ultrasounds x 3 and MRI all to no avail. I endured punishing groin massage to "stretch those tight muscles!" resulting in deep and impressive major bruising.

I casually mentioned it to my lymphatic massage therapist while doing the weekly shopping and she suggested I see their spine physio for an assessment.. and wow! All my woes result from the mastectomy in 2004. My left breast was removed and I got on with life after chemo etc, but the muscles on the upper mid spine on the left are pulling the ribs into the left hip and that is pulling on the right side causing this endless pain.

At last I have a diagnosis to work with. Resulting treatment to date is strapping and massage those tight spine muscles, and there is hope all will be well in due course. No more drugs, panadol will suffice for me!

But this is a lesson to all, if you get back aches don't just accept that old label of "ageing" or possible arthritis girls!

I would love to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,833
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hello Mandy
    Yes ! I am almost one year on from mastectomy and I have constant lymhatic fluid buildup, and heaps when I do any hard work. I regularly see a remedial masseur for this. I occasionally have a groin pain and a severe pain which feels like an ovary. At my visit yesterday for the fluid buildup and for shoulder/arm pain she found it all by herself without me mentioning it ... yep - all connected via muscle disturbance. She worked me hard and also used the Chinese cuppingtechnique. Today the pain has gone !
    Like you, I regularly have that deep bruising but the result is good !
    I think it is great when ladies mention things the 'mainstream' medicos ignore as it is US who go through the side effects.
    Keep up with those massages.
    Hugs
    Summer :-)
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited July 2015
    Options

Wow who would have thought!!! I was without a breast for 2 1/2 years post mastectomy.  I was forever being asked about the crooked way I stood.  I have since had a reconstruction so hopefully this will help with the wonkiness.  Never once thought it had to do with the mastectomy.  Thanks for the great post. Good luck with the treatment.

Paula

• Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Mandy, I certainly didn't realise just how common back pain can be for women who have had mastectomies until I spoke to my physiotherapist this year. She deals with a range of women's issues, including pelvic realignment, and said that she sees quite a few women who experience back pain due to changes in posture and balance as a result of having a mastectomy. I had a mastectomy (right breast) in April 2012 and was lopsided for 2 years before having a reconstruction last year. I experienced dreadful back pain (made worse by scoliosis) that certainly got worse in those 2 years before reconstruction, despite my prosthesis which provided some weight on the right hand side. I was using anti-inflammatory meds quite regularly to ease the pain and like Paula, was often asked about why I stood crookedly. When I had my reconstruction last year this was the first step in helping me to regain better spinal balance but I had to "retrain" my muscles and spine which had tightened and cramped over the previous two years and was causing much of the pain I was having. I now regularly do core strengthening and pelvic floor realignment exercises and these have worked really well and I no longer use anti-inflammatory meds.  My physio also used acupuncture or dry needling to soften a lot of the scar tissue and despite my initial scepticism, it worked immediately to soften both my mastectomy and reconstruction scars, making movement much easier. I'm feeling much stronger and I think a lot of these allied health support services can offer women invaluable help in combatting the lingering effects of breast cancer. Jane xx 

• Custard
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks, Summerhill38! It is an ongoing maintenance regime we need, like the Syndye Harbour Bridge! Physio tomorrow, SO looking forward to the taping as it feels secure and very helpfu. Take special care, Mandy

• Custard
    edited July 2015
    Options

Yes Mum2JJ, we ahve to be alert and pro active, no matter how many years go by. Reconstruction will help, I am sure... I will see how I go. Thanks! xx

• Custard
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Jane221,

wow that is very similar to me... I am glad I kept asking to be looked at and in the end found the right physio (for me!). things we dont get told at diagnosis, and afterwards, eh? Take care, Mandy