In a dilemma

Options
blondie55
blondie55 Member Posts: 3
edited June 2015 in Health and wellbeing

i am not sure what to do. I had a lumpectomy four weeks ago. My cancer was invasive Ductal carcinoma but only 12mm. I was due to start radiotherapy but have been told by my medical oncologist that the type of cancer it was is triple negative and can be genetic so she would refer me for BRCA gene testing. So my dilemma is do I wait for the results of the testing and if positive I would have a double mastectomy or start radiotherapy anyway. I don't want to wait much longer for treatment. I'm not sure what to do?

Comments

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi

Unfortunately, no one can make that decision for you.  Speak to your oncologist. Ask them if waiting will be an issue or not and ask for their recommendations. Get as much information as you can so that you can make an educated decision.  A lot of us wonder if we have made the right decisions or not but we all make the best decisions at the time with the information that we have. Good luck with it all. Karen xox

• blondie55
    blondie55 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thanks Karen.

• Mozzie Bear
    Mozzie Bear Member Posts: 88
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Blondie55, while I wasn't in your situation I did ask my surgeon to take the other breast off too to reduce my risk of cancer in the other breast.  He wouldn't do it at the time as he didn't want to risk an infection which may have prevented the ongoing treatment of the cancer that did exist.  We will deal with the other breast though but that will probably be next year now which is ok. 

Your surgeon may be able to guide you with your decision but it is a choice for you to make.  Good luck Maureen

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Blondie, I think it depends on how long it will take to get the genetic test results. You don't have to rush radiotherapy unless your team thinks so.I had radiation about 9 weeks after my lumpectomy.Just get all the onfo before you decide because radiation could impact on reconstruction issues down the track.  Tonya xx

• Jacintac
    Jacintac Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2015
    Options

I have been waiting over 3 months to have the BRCA test and when they finally do the test I have been told it is 6-9 months for the result.I had 3 small cancers the largest being 12mm invasive ductal carcinoma.( also TNBC) I have a strong family history of breast cancer and so opted for double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction. I then waited 10 weeks to commence Chemo. We all choose to do different things and can only be guided by our doctors. If it wasn't for the family history I would not have been as prepared and positive as to what I wanted.Maybe a second oncology consultation might help?