My Surgery and Warfarin

Options
Arleene
Arleene Member Posts: 238
edited June 2015 in Health and wellbeing

Hi There Ladies,

I'm starting to get a little worried my Surgery is on the 24th ( this Wednesday ) and I have Invasive Ductal Carcinoma and I'm having a Lumpectomy and at least 1-2 Lymph Nodes removed, the thing that scares me is I am on Warfarin for Blood Clots in the lungs, I'm so worried that I could internally bleed as that is something that can happen when you are on Warfarin and having Surgery can anyone give some advice as I have complete faith in my surgeon but the Warfarin issue is what scares me not having my Cancer removed, maybe I'm a little anxious I don't know.

Thanks Anita.

Comments

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Anita my understanding is that you go off the warfarin before surgery, check with your surgeon. It is normal to be worried about your surgery.

It is the unknown that is scarey, good luck with your surgery Wednesday.

• kazza4450
    kazza4450 Member Posts: 159
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Anita

I too was scared, worried etc about my surgery due to my asthma and airway inflammation etc as last year didn't go so well. I met up and had a pre op appointment. I was due to just see a nurse to go over everything about what would happen in surgery and pre op checkup. I contacted them and told them about my concerns with my airways, and they then booked me into the gp anaethetist in that area and I saw him as well as the nurse the week before surgery. He then put me on steriods and also nexium to control my reflux and surgery went way better than I could of hoped for. I also spoke to surgeon, nurses and aneasthetist just before I went under, so everyone knew about my asthma, allergies and they looked after me very well and were prepared if any issues arose.

Keep up your communication. Will say some prayers the 24th goes really well for you.. My surgery last week ended up going quite well. xxx

• Gerbera67
    Gerbera67 Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Anita.  I have a very similar story to you.....invasive ductal carcinoma, nodes removed and a blood clot family history with my dad dying of a clot to his lungs at 36.  I have now had 4 surgeries since being diagnosed in Feb 14, the last surgery being this Monday just gone.  I am not on warfarin but did have to come of other medications that thinned the blood prior to surgeries.  Just keep the communications open, tell everyone who is dealing with you and yes, even as you go in to theatre tell them there.  It doesn't hurt to make sure everyone is aware of your particular situation. All the best for your surgery :)

• Arleene
    Arleene Member Posts: 238
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Gerbera,

Thank you so much that's the only thing that's been bothering me I will take your advice and tell everyone especially the nurses as they change all the time, I feel a lot better now I'm sure everything will be fine as I have an excellent surgeon he's done heaps of procedures on me and he's well aware of my blood clotting issues and I have a lot of faith and trust in him, my husband is worried the most but when it comes down to it it's my body they are operating on I just want the bc gone, I'm sorry about your dad but I too had a similar situation my dad passed away when he was 58 from a brain haemorrage, I hope you are having a speedy recovery from your latest surgery.

Bye Anita.