Exercise during and after treatment

Options
rivergum
rivergum Member Posts: 133
edited May 2015 in Health and wellbeing

Hi everyone

Another article promoting the benefits of exercise to help manage during chemotherapy and radiotherapy! 

http://www.theage.com.au/national/health/cancer-research-exercise-may-improve-ability-to-cope-with-treatment-side-effects-20150508-ggxden.html

It doesn't matter if you're feeling tired, just get out there and have a go. A small walk to the end of the street. Exercise improves your mood and fights fatigue.

Cheers

Meg

Comments

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited May 2015
    Options

Too true. I used to drag myself around the block no matter what. I am now long past treatment but am out there pounding the pavement whenever I can to get my 10000 steps in. I used to call it walking for my soul. 

Paula x

• Steph Fletcher
    Steph Fletcher Member Posts: 109
    edited May 2015
    Options

Meg, thanks for sharing! What an interesting read! I was sent this article a couple of days ago. It is exciting to read that women are being encouraged to move more and eat well during and after being diagnosed. And as you have suggested something is better than nothing, small steps lead to big change. I remember hearing of one woman who was very keen to go on walks with her partner. He would often go on hour long walks, and she found this was too much for her in the beginning. Instead of writing-off the entire walk, she decided to walk what was manageable for her on the day and then turn around and walk home. I really liked her approach to a common obstacle. If you are finding motivation a challenge, how about committing to a 5minute walk to begin with. When you have walked for 5minutes, check in and see how your body feels - can you do another 5minutes? If not, try again for 5minutes at the end of the day. Before you know it, you'll be up to 20minutes a day! Steph X