all breast cancer survivors are special

Options
wendy55
wendy55 Member Posts: 774
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

I would like to make a comment on the segment on this mornings channel nine program, it was a story regarding a single mother of two, who since the age of 15 has had numerous lumps and also carries the brca gene and made the decision ultimately to have a double mastectomy, it was was a very inspiring story and the hosts gave her a complete makeover and then brought her children and mother on to see the transformation and subsequently gave the family many gifts donated by various companies.

Whilst this was a beautiful story and the recipient was very deserving of these gifts, it made me think of all the other beautiful women with or without children and partners who are struggling on a daily basis, who dont have the opportunity to have a makeover or be pampered, who just go about their business, undergoing surgeries,chemotherapy,radiation and looking after their families at same time,

to all of you, I salute you, its hard so very hard at times, living with this insidious disease and sometimes when I see these feel good stories I just get a teensy bit upset as I know that there are so many women out there deserving of such treatment who arent acknowledged, they may live in a rural or remote area, they may not have a lot of support, but they just keep on keeping on, I wish I could give you all a makeover and lovely gifts, but I guess the biggest gift of all would be good health,thats what we all strive for,

wendy 55

Tagged:

Comments

• Mozzie Bear
    Mozzie Bear Member Posts: 88
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi Wendy, its gotta be tough to be 15 and start having problems you wouldn't wish on another soul.  It is great that at this time - during the week of the BCNA footy match - that someone was given this gift.  In many ways it is a recognition of all our struggles through cancer.  I agree it would be great for all cancer patients to be given something special but it isn't something I would seek or want. 

My very wonderful workplace offered to do  fundraiser for me but I am lucky and did not need the financial support.  I would much prefer to raise money to help others through their struggles.

I think the event at the footy tomorrow night in Melbourne is a big thankyou and recognition. I can't go and I wish that I could but I hear what you have to say and your kind thoughts for all the women and men facing the challenges of breast cancer.

Good luck to you and all the ladies and gents. keep thinking kind thoughts for all of us. Maureen