Baby Cancer ..... Babies!

Options
Jarlou
Jarlou Member Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in Health and wellbeing

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my story with you also, I was 32 at the time of diagnosis (with a 11 month old bub), he turned 1 four days after my first mastectomy!  I was diagnosed with Triple Neg BC stage 3, so a double mast, chemo and rads for me!  We were given the option of IVF prior to the commencement of chemo however given I ended up having four lumps in my breast and most of my lymph nodes infected we went straight for treatment (to be honest I was bloody terrified of the whole ordeal).

If I had my time over again I would have done the IVF in a heart beat - retrospect is always a wonderful thing!  In any event post my treatment and second mastectomy we did some test to check fertility levels etc.  I wasnt the best news and the drs were not hopeful of me conceiving naturally again.  On top of the cancer I felt this a particularly hard blow!  I was told if I wanted another babe I should definately try then - unfortunately in the world of cancer you need to wait after diagnosis, in the world of having babies however we cant wait sometimes due to the damage done to our systems!  So we elected for a round of IVF - which was tougher than I thought, the first round I only produced two eggs so we decided not to go through with the egg pick up. Number two round we were lucky enough to end up with six viable embryo's!  Aparently biologically the chemo has aged me about 10 years............

We struggle at times with time frames etc, should we, shouldnt we - I just really wanted someone to tell me it is going to be ok!  Now I am nearly three years from diagnosis and my husband and I have decided that time frames aside we shall try to go about life as normally as possible!  To our amazememt we fell pregnant in Sept 2014 naturally (unfortunately I miscarried this pregancy) however this did tell me that my dodgy system was working!!  So we go forth once again and look forward to maybe having another bub and growing our family some more.

I wish all of you luck in this area - for me it is a difficult topic to discuss and it has been one of my biggest challenges, it is so hard also as each of us are in such a different position. 

Take care always Louisa

Comments

• Harmonious
    Harmonious Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thanks so much for sharing your story!

xx