Lymphoedema and Massage

Options
June1952
June1952 Member Posts: 1,834
edited January 2015 in Health and wellbeing

Hello and Happy New Year, Ladies.  Hoping 2015 brings better health and much happiness to all.

As I am in a rural area I do not have access to a physiotherapist who can treat my cording.  A GP clinic nurse suggested a local masseur may be able to help.

I have had three sessions and she has used the 'cupping' technique.  The fluid is moving and the cupping is not too uncomfortable now.  The cost is $30 per 1/2 hour which is far cheaper and I get more time than the physio I did attend - 75 kms away.

I have noticed that my arm cording has improved in that it is more supple and less prominent.

Has anyone else had this used on their lymphoedema ?

Is this a recognised treatment for lymphoedema ?

Thanks

Summer  :-)

Comments

• Layla
    Layla Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Summer

How long has it been since your op? I had horrendous cording that developed probably about a month after my lumpectomy. It hung around for a couple of months and then went away. I haven't had lymphoedema though. 

My tips for cording are:

- try to stretch your arm every day - I know it hurts to straighten it out but it seemed to get worse the more I tried to 'baby' it;

- massage it in the shower. Using soap and warm water, run your fingers firmly up and down the cords;

- be patient. I was told (but didn't necessarily believe) that it would get better after a few months. And it did! Diarise a date and If it isn't better perhaps touch base with your surgeon?

Finally, when you are stretching it / running your fingers over it you may feel little snaps. I understand this is the cording breaking down. Do NOT be scared of the snap!!! You'd expect it to hurt but to the contrary it just feels a little weird but brings immediate relief!!! I was living with a mantra of 'bring on the snap' for a while. I'll never forget sitting at my desk at work one day stretching my arm up and doing a quick massage when 'pew pew pew pew' there was a whole lot of snapping! Takes some time to break down - my cording was all up my arm to my wrist, but I have had no signs of any sort of lymphoedema. 

Good luck!

• Layla
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Summer

How long has it been since your op? I had horrendous cording that developed probably about a month after my lumpectomy. It hung around for a couple of months and then went away. I haven't had lymphoedema though. 

My tips for cording are:

- try to stretch your arm every day - I know it hurts to straighten it out but it seemed to get worse the more I tried to 'baby' it;

- massage it in the shower. Using soap and warm water, run your fingers firmly up and down the cords;

- be patient. I was told (but didn't necessarily believe) that it would get better after a few months. And it did! Diarise a date and If it isn't better perhaps touch base with your surgeon?

Finally, when you are stretching it / running your fingers over it you may feel little snaps. I understand this is the cording breaking down. Do NOT be scared of the snap!!! You'd expect it to hurt but to the contrary it just feels a little weird but brings immediate relief!!! I was living with a mantra of 'bring on the snap' for a while. I'll never forget sitting at my desk at work one day stretching my arm up and doing a quick massage when 'pew pew pew pew' there was a whole lot of snapping! Takes some time to break down - my cording was all up my arm to my wrist, but I have had no signs of any sort of lymphoedema. 

Good luck!

• June1952
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Layla

Thank you for your great support.

Yes, I do the stretches (and self massages - and hubby massages) and always hope for that precious 'snap'.  I have had small 'snaps' but it is (so far) still there - but the cording is not too long and I think it is more supple since the 'cupping'.

I had a mastectomy 28/8, then surgery 29/8 then more 31/8.  Guess all that shock to my system and the resultant scarring will take time.

Hopefully some ladies will have had massages and 'cupping' and be able to give us advice on the good and the bad.

I see my surgeon tomorrow so will be asking questions !!  He may freak out at the idea of going to a masseur !!

I will be in touch when I have some more info on whether massage is good or bad.

Stay tuned, ladies .....

• June1952
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Layla

Thank you for your great support.

Yes, I do the stretches (and self massages - and hubby massages) and always hope for that precious 'snap'.  I have had small 'snaps' but it is (so far) still there - but the cording is not too long and I think it is more supple since the 'cupping'.

I had a mastectomy 28/8, then surgery 29/8 then more 31/8.  Guess all that shock to my system and the resultant scarring will take time.

Hopefully some ladies will have had massages and 'cupping' and be able to give us advice on the good and the bad.

I see my surgeon tomorrow so will be asking questions !!  He may freak out at the idea of going to a masseur !!

I will be in touch when I have some more info on whether massage is good or bad.

Stay tuned, ladies .....

• Layla
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good luck!!! X