finished AC, just starting taxol

Options
Chrisbeachside
Chrisbeachside Member Posts: 8
edited January 2015 in Health and wellbeing

I have just had my first dose of Taxol and am nervous how it will go.  I have 11 doses to get through and would appreciate a little encouragement of how to manage this best.  I am nearly two hours away from my treatment hospital so sometimes feel a bit isolated.

I look forward to any thoughts,

thanks Chrisbeachside

Comments

• Annedipa
    Annedipa Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I finished AC before Christmas and have had 2 taxol/carboplatin treatments so far, with 10 more to go. the taxol/carboplatin is easier to handle than the AC. I don't feel as sick. hope all goes well for you, Anne
  • Annedipa
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I finished AC before Christmas and have had 2 taxol/carboplatin treatments so far, with 10 more to go. the taxol/carboplatin is easier to handle than the AC. I don't feel as sick. hope all goes well for you, Anne
  • Chrisbeachside
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anne

Thanks for your encouragement.  My dianosis is inflamatory breast cancer and I have a journey ahead of taxol, right breast removal and some lymph glands, radiation for 6 weeks and hormonal therapy.  Some days are emotional and some parts of the days are better, so Im really trying to concentrate of what makes a better time to focus on, but I sometimes fail to remain positive.  When I feel low I call a friend who does just lets me talk and I get them to talk to me about their normal life so I feel a part of everyday stuff.  It does help to lift my mood.

I wish you good feelings of wellness and not so much nausea throughout your treatment too.  Chris

• Hikerbabe
    Hikerbabe Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Chris,
    I am on my 9th of 12 weekly Taxol. Whilst I haven't had extreme side affects, I have found the accumulative affects of fatigue and minimal (make that no appetite) really draining. I have lost weight and have had to graze rather than eat meals to not have everything go straight through! Try and keep positive as it's great to know when the end is getting closer!
    All the best
    Therese
  • Chrisbeachside
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Stephanie
    Thank you so much for your comments and understanding of what it's like to have IBC. It seems like such a long journey but hearing how you went helps.

Your employer sounds wonderful and I imagine you have a great relationship there now.

My hubby and I went for a short walk this morning as it is going to be hotter later. I am just trying to take it one day at a time. I see the surgeon tomorrow. I wondered if you chose your surgeon privately and how you found the experience?

Thanks for listening, Chris

• Chrisbeachside
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Therese
    Thanks for listening and understanding. I too have lost a bit more weight today, and try to graze and drink sustagen. I know there's no way but to work through each day resting, trying to keep up fluids, manage ,emotional moments too. I'm so glad your nearly through the taxol, all the best for the rest of it. - Chris
  • Meggs67
    Meggs67 Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Chris

You're definitely right, IBC is a big journey. It's hard enough explaining to people that you have a Cancer that they've never heard of and convincing people that yes you have Breast cancer, but no I don't have a lump is a chore. It seemed to me that most Breast Cancer treatment doesn't cover chemo, surgery, radiotherapy and hormone treatment regime that is vital to beating IBC. I looked at the completion of each stage as a milestone achieved and that we were closer to beating the beast.

I should have said that, for me, chemo and Taxol particularly did its job, with the post surgery pathology saying 90+% of the tumour had been resolved through chemo. So whilst taxol was the hardest thing I did, in hindsight it was also the best thing I did.

As I was unemployed at the time of diagnosis, I was referred to the Austin Hospital (I'm in Melbourne) and then had all treatment including the reconstruction through the public system. I cannot speak highly enough of my experience in the public system and all my doctors filled my with confidence from the first appointment.

I have a theory that the difference between public and private (Cancer-related) is basically a lot of money. All my doctors also work privately and are all at the top of the tree in their fields. Where are you based? If Melbourne, I cannot rate or recommend Caroline Baker highly enough. She works privately in East Melbourne. But having said that I'm sure you be located elsewhere.

Stay as strong as you can, exercise if you have the energy and listen to your body (and your doctors).

Stephanie

• Chrisbeachside
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Stephanie

I appreciate your thoughts on surgery. I have been given questions to ask tomorrow of the surgeon about the differences of going private or public with the surgery. I will be going to an outer Eastern suburbs hospital.

We had retired down towards Phillip Island so it means wherever I go takes nearly two hours. Didn't plan that very well, but so far are managing the travelling.

Thanks for the recommendation of your surgeon. I will keep her in mind.

At this stage, each passing day for me is a day closer to getting through this, so thanks for putting more positive thoughts in my mind.

Chris.

• Chrisbeachside
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi there,

Im hoping by now you have nearly finished your taxol treatment.  I've completed 7 cycles, then spent the last week in hospital with pneumonia.  I couldn't do my due treatment on Friday, but hope to start up again next Friday.

Stay well and take care,

Chris

• Chrisbeachside
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Stephanie

I thought I 'd get in touch again as you were so encouraging last time.  I have just spent the last week in hospital with pneumonia and had to put off a taxol session.  I'm now at home and accepting I just have to get better.  thanks for letting me offload, as sometimes I don't want to give it all to the family.   Keep well.

Best wishes to you, Chris

• Annedipa
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Chris,

So sorry you are having such a rough time. Chemo can be very tiring and draining on its own without the complications of pneumonia. My taxol/carboplatin was stopped after the 4th treatment as it was not working (the primary tumor was getting larger again after having shrunk considerably during the AC treatments). Had bilateral mastectomies and right axillary clearance on 29th Jan. Will be going back to the oncologist this week to see if I need any more chemo or straight onto radiation. On the positive side the nodes were all negative after surgery where they had previously biopsied (FNA) positive and the primary tumor although increasing in size again was still smaller than it was originally. Take care of yourself and keep well.

Anne

• Chrisbeachside
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anne

thanks for replying.  You are such a strong woman to have been through this.  Can I ask how you are feeling after the surgery.  That is such good news about the primary tumour and now negative results. 

My plan is to do radiation after chemo, then rb removal and removal of most lymph glands on right side, then 10 years of horman treatment like yourself.

Wishing you wellness too.

Chris.

• Annedipa
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hi Chris, the first few days after surgery I was a bit sore but as long as you keep on top of the pain its ok. each day i could feel myself getting stronger. the hardest part was sleeping on my back as I'm a side sleeper. I was back at work after 2 weeks and I'm feeling better than I have for months. they will give you arm exercises to do after surgery and the best advice I can give you is to make sure you do them. sometimes if you are feeling stiff and sore it is tempting to leave them but I always felt better after doing them.
    Best wishes. keep me posted on your progress.
    Anne