'Twas the scan before Xmas!

Options
TonyaM
TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
I thought my bad year was behind me! I lost a friend to breast cancer in April, lost my Mum to liver cancer in May and lost my brother-in-law to brain cancer last month. My year was mostly devoted to nursing mum and then sorting out mum's unit in order to sell it (which I did). I had 4 months of extreme dental work, my husband had a gall bladder operation and even the cat had surgery!

A routine blood test showed I had an elevated liver enzyme (ALP). So off for an abdo ultrasound - no cancer but I have a fatty liver (thank you Tamoxifen). Repeated the blood test - still elevated. My diligent GP now sends me off to have a full body nuclear bone scan 10 days before Xmas.

I know what she's looking for! I don't have to tell you ladies about the angst lying under that machine. I thought of all my pink sisters with secondaries and how amazing they are.This gave me strength to face whatever was in that envelope.

But I dodged a bullet and it was all clear, apart from degenerative bone issues. My GP set me free so I went home and sat in my spa with a glass champagne (first one in 3 months) and contemplated how easily my path could have changed.

Tonya xx
Tagged:

Comments

• Natasha
    Natasha Member Posts: 85
    edited March 2015
    Options

What a year!  

How wonderful to get a clear bone scan.  That much be a relief.

Enjoy your Xmas and hopefully your Annus Horribilis is now well and truly over and you can recall the good moments with your mum.

Take care.  

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I drew a breath when I saw your post , will we ever be free of worry. Merry Xmas love adean
  • rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi greta news have another glass and enjoyxx

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited March 2015
    Options

cant spell anymore GREAT news

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Once we have "bc"stamped on our files,we will always have more tests/scans than the average person.We just have to factor them into our lives,deal with the anxiety and then get on with living,hoping for the best(until the next time).I have accepted that this is how it is and I'm grateful to have such a caring,intelligent GP. So,no,we are never free of this bc worry but we learn to live with it and there are worse things that can happen.I am planning to have lots of fun and travel in 2015.Wishing all my pink sisters a lovely Christmas and good health in the new year.Tonya xx
  • jenpen
    jenpen Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2015
    Options

Great news Tonya! Sending you a huge cyber hug.....and wishing you a fantastic 2015.....

Jenny x

• jenpen
    jenpen Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2015
    Options

Tonya...Also sending special thoughts your way for the first Xmas without your beautiful Mum.....?

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi my dear Tonya, Yes it has been a "test" - you have "come through".  I am so pleased that your tests were clear.  I have thrown caution to the wind for Xmas. Over the past few days 2 bottles of Moscato have emptied.  This is 2 more than I have touched for the whole year.  It sure makes for improved sleep - something to numb for a while.  I am looking to shed another 5kgs in the New Year.  When I return to paid work I will recommence  personal training. (something else to help numb the pain)  My aim has always been to run a marathon (maybe 10 km) when I am 60.  Only 19 months left to "shape up".  Who knows what 2015 will bring - I can predict a couple of possibles however nothing is certain.  Things can only improve now Tonya.  I hope to see you in Melbourne for the BCNA Summit. XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi my dear Tonya, Yes it has been a "test" - you have "come through".  I am so pleased that your tests were clear.  I have thrown caution to the wind for Xmas. Over the past few days 2 bottles of Moscato have emptied.  This is 2 more than I have touched for the whole year.  It sure makes for improved sleep - something to numb for a while.  I am looking to shed another 5kgs in the New Year.  When I return to paid work I will recommence  personal training. (something else to help numb the pain)  My aim has always been to run a marathon (maybe 10 km) when I am 60.  Only 19 months left to "shape up".  Who knows what 2015 will bring - I can predict a couple of possibles however nothing is certain.  Things can only improve now Tonya.  I hope to see you in Melbourne for the BCNA Summit. XLeonie

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Tonya,

What a year you have had. So glad the scan turned out clear though. It is a good way to start the new year knowing that everything is ok now.

I am back in Sydney now after 2 years in Perth. Maybe we can catch up sometime in the new year.

Love Chris xx
  • TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That would be lovely to catchup- maybe in a few weeks time? Talk soon,love Tonya xx
  • TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm hoping for a great 2015- full of health and fun.I don't think I'll make it to the summit as we'll be in Europe.I would have really liked to go- love BCNA summits.I will have my 60th birthday somewhere in Switzerland.Hope to see you another time- keep in touch,keep well.love Tonya xx
  • TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hope 2015 is a happy,healthy one for us all.Hope you are travelling ok. Tonya xx