Tamoxifen, Aromatase Inhibitors, low thyroid function

Options
suzieq
suzieq Member Posts: 332
edited December 2014 in Health and wellbeing

For anyone on Tamoxifen or Aromatase Inhibitors suffering depression, anxiety, or weight gain it may be worth having your thyroid tested.  Here is link to medical journal I have quickly found.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9587161

I have tried Aromatase Inhibitors and on Tamoxifen up until 2 weeks ago. What I discovered on these drugs is they either interfere with my thyroid or affect thyroid medication resulting in depression (depression is a major side effect of under active thyroid)

For the past 20 years I have been successfully treated for an underactive thyroid living a normal happy life until breast cancer of course. Normal lab test results for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is usually within the paramater of 0.04 to 4.0.  My level (we are all different) where I am happy, well, active and energised is between 0.04 to 3.0.  Otherwise I suffer dreadful depression and anxiety.

I saw my Oncologist today regarding depression.  He wrote me a script for anti-depressants. When I tried to talk to him about the effect of Tamoxifen on my thyroid he was dismissive saying it doesn't happen.  He then went on to say I would be dead in 18 months if I went off them.  He was quite cold and rude. How does he know that? Does he really believe he is God?  I have only started seeing him after moving state! My cancer was only grade 2 stage 2 no lymph involvement needing only breast conserving surgery and radiation. I opted for chemo as I was told it gave me another 4% chance of survival - but I didn't need it.  It seems to me women are fair game if they arrive at an Oncology appointment in tears trying to find answers.  

Comments

• VivW
    VivW Member Posts: 266
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Suzi,

I think there is some connection with the thyroid and iodine levels as well, I had my iodine checked and it is low, simple urine test.

Japan have high iodine diet and low breast cancer?

It is a worry what these drugs do to our bodies, and oncologist seem to be blase about supplements.

I have had a wonderful turn around in side effects from Femara, taking very high doses of fish oil, glucosamine. I am off to see Onco today to see if I can add a couple more, and to get his opinion on the iodine.

Cheers

Viv

• VivW
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Suzi,

I think there is some connection with the thyroid and iodine levels as well, I had my iodine checked and it is low, simple urine test.

It is a worry what these drugs do to our bodies, and oncologist seem to be blase about supplements.

I have had a wonderful turn around in side effects from Femara, taking very high doses of fish oil, glucosamine. I am off to see Onco today to see if I can add a couple more, and to get his opinion on the iodine.

Cheers

Viv

• VivW
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Suzi,

Cheers

Viv

• suzieq
    suzieq Member Posts: 332
    edited March 2015
    Options

Iodine is necessary for healthy thyroid function.  All you need do is make sure you buy iodised salt instead of sea salt etc (our mothers always bought iodised salt). I think they have now legislated that it be an additive in bread due to low iodine levels now among children.  The thyroid takes up iodine.  My thyroid disease started as Graves Disease (over-active) which can result in osteoporosis. I was given radioactive iodine treatment to kill off part of the thyroid which then resulted in hypothyroidism (under active).  They had irradiated the iodine as it is only used by the thyroid.  Hope this helps.  Suexx