Oh my giddy aunt!

Options
mumflo
mumflo Member Posts: 44
edited December 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Oh my giddy aunt there's a reason I feel so crappy, fat and worn out.

My thyroid has left the building, stopped working, kaput.

At the start of this, I was working part time shift work, running around after my mother, and looking after my son who has special needs.

I could do quite a few lappies round the park with my goofy dog in tow, usually twice a day. Chemo started and I slowed down a bit. Getting to the toilet on some days was all the exercise I could manage and other days I'd be back at the park doing my lappies just a bit slower.

Until I developed hand foot syndrome and the skin on my feet and hands peeled off in sheets.  I had to rest with these gross wet dressings on my hands and feet.

Walking was out and I was started on prednisone. The weight started to creep on. My ankles and hands swelled. Made it through that and onto radiation, exhausted.

To be expected.they said.

Flat out out walking to the park let alone do a lap even when I finished rad there was no improvement. I really struggled but I kept walking twice a day having a rest on each bench around the park.

Tests on my heart were OK. From my GPs nurse to my mother all I heard was just loose weight, try harder walk more eat less.  My mother was particularly hurtful. I was eating well and to the point where I was always hungry, exercising as best I could and slowly gaining weight.

I'd come on here and exercise was making such a difference to everyone that I stopped visiting for awhile, it was very depressing.

But now I'm on thyroxine and in 6 to 8 weeks I should see improvement it explains so much.

Long rant but if like me you're really struggling with weight gain, exhaustion fatigue dry skin peripheral neuropathy ask when they last checked your thyroid function!

Cheers, Fiona

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What a terrible time you have had. It must have been so frustrating for you. I am so glad that you finally have an answer and are on your way to fixing the problem.

Your post got me thinking because there have been a number of discussions on here just recently about iodine deficiency after BC. Ioidine deficiency of course can lead to hypothyroidism. Considering many of us have CT scans when diagnosed (and are injected with the iodine media for this) you wonder whether there is a link between this and developing iodine and thyroid issues. There seems to be some info on this when you google ( I know we should not believe everything on the Internet though) but it does make you wonder.

It is so hard when the symptoms of thyroid problems are pretty much what many people experience as side effects of BC treatment. Still it would seem a simple blood test to check thyroid function could possible save a lot of unnecessary suffering. Doctors do seem to just brush most of our issues off as 'normal' for what we have been through but boy this must have been so terrible for you! Hope you are soon seeing a big improvement and receiving a few apologies from a few people! Thanks for letting us know about this. You might save someone else from having the same battle. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What a terrible time you have had. It must have been so frustrating for you. I am so glad that you finally have an answer and are on your way to fixing the problem.

Your post got me thinking because there have been a number of discussions on here just recently about iodine deficiency after BC. Ioidine deficiency of course can lead to hypothyroidism. Considering many of us have CT scans when diagnosed (and are injected with the iodine media for this) you wonder whether there is a link between this and developing iodine and thyroid issues. There seems to be some info on this when you google ( I know we should not believe everything on the Internet though) but it does make you wonder.

It is so hard when the symptoms of thyroid problems are pretty much what many people experience as side effects of BC treatment. Still it would seem a simple blood test to check thyroid function could possible save a lot of unnecessary suffering. Doctors do seem to just brush most of our issues off as 'normal' for what we have been through but boy this must have been so terrible for you! Hope you are soon seeing a big improvement and receiving a few apologies from a few people! Thanks for letting us know about this. You might save someone else from having the same battle. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for your post and I hope your energy levels pick up soon. It makes me wonder whether radiation might damage our Thyroid. I mean,it's very close to the area that is radiated.I have been extremely tired this year,hair falling out and can't lose weight. I asked my gp for a thyroid blood test and it came back normal. So then I started researching Iodine deficiency and apparently this can be quite low yet your thyroid test appears ok.I then read that Japanese women have highest Iodine levels( some study I read) and lowest bc insidences- all very interesting.Anyway,I have decided to take Blackmores multivitamin which contains 131ugs of Iodine which comes close to daily allowance.I might start a post about it so we can all put our brains together! Keep us posted about your progress. Tonya xx