Forum Discussion
Leasamtay
11 years agoMember
Lumpectomy without clear margins
I was diagnosed in February with stage 1 grade 2 breast cancer in my right breast, one invasive ductal the other invasive lobular carcinoma with no lymph node involvement.
i started 4 ac chemos in march followed by 12 taxols.
I had a lumpectomy, snb and breast lift on both breasts 2 weeks ago. Went to surgeon for pathology results and they couldn't get clear margins on the ilc so have to go back in and have a mastectomy.
I am scared that the cancer will spread and angry that the chemo didn't work well with that one. Is this a common thing to happen? I haven't been scared this whole time until now
18 Replies
- LeasamtayMember
Thanku ??
When are u booked in for mastectomy?
- kezzza4Member
Goodluck for Tuesday xx
- kezzza4Member
- LeasamtayMember
It's so daunting isn't it!
i hope when I go back to my surgeon on Tuesday she has been able to tee something up but I'm ok with having a delayed recon now, I just want to be rid of any cancer.
I understand your roller coaster of emotions. I'm so up and down. I'm usually a very up person.
- kezzza4Member
I feel for you Leasamtay esp after doing chemo & all, quite disappointing. I'm so glad it wasn't forced or recommended for me in my situation, I'm not really pro chemo. I've had a good chat to my support breast care nurse today, and the head breast care nurse yesterday at the hospital I'm booked in for the mastectomy. It's highly doubtful they will be doing anything at all other than the mastectomy. My GP on the other hand has not given up & would like to know if I can at least have nipple sparing surgery & the tissue expander. I'm not sure how we will go. Since I'm probably going to have the other breast removed after this experience, no wanting to go through all of these shocks and ops again, they will most likely do both reconstructions at the same time with a better result.
I won't know exactly where I'm at either until this mastectomy is performed and my pathology is back. We have got a shock each time, but I'm hoping this one will be different. On the bright side, at least my lymph nodes have been clear from the outset.
Goodluck with it all. I know I've gone from a pretty optimistic & positive outlook to a pretty dismal one this week, but I'm feeling a bit better now. It's one helluva ride that's for sure.
Big hugs xx
- LeasamtayMember
I am in the same boat, I spoke to my breast care nurse today and I'm still up in the air.
My surgeon can't tee up a date with the plastic surgeon to do immediate recon so I will probably have to do the mastectomy with delayed recon.
Depending on what comes back from pathology I may have to have more chemo. I was so strong before this and now I'm lost and don't know what to do
- kezzza4Member
Hi Leasamtay
Yes I am thinking about reconstruction. I asked at the time they said I needed to have a mastectomy and they said they would discuss it after I'd had surgery.
I've now done some reading and I think they have been harsh on me not giving me any options to have some things done immediately at the time of the mastectomy. I'm not happy and I'm not sure now what I want to do at all.
I feel like I'm just a sheep, one of many..........
xx
- LeasamtayMember
Hi kezza4,
i hope all goes well with you too.
Are you going to get reconstruction?
- LeasamtayMember
Thank you Sharon, having this site for support is so good.
Nobody really understands how you feel unless they have been or are going through it xx
- LeasamtayMember
Hi tonyam,
They gave me chemo first in to shrink the cancer for a lumpectomy. I was told I would have scans along the way but only had 1 for the clips to be put in.
I now have to decide what recon I want, I was leaning toward tram flap but worried with everything that can go wrong but if I have an implant it won't look anything like my other breast