Forum Discussion
Tarnya74
10 years agoMember
Genetic testing
Hi everyone I am 8wks into 16wks of fortnightly chemo for triple negative bc. Next week i have an appointment with a geneticist. I don't seem to have a family history of bc so unsure of the outcome. Has anyone else had genetic testing? What should i expect? If i have no family history, does that mean i have a brca gene?
32 Replies
- SoldierCrabMemberNO I had Elizabeth Elder think that is the correct spelling of her Name.... Loved her no nonsense approach.
- ccasperMember@"Soldier Crab"
can an I ask your opinion on westmead? Did you use Dr French? - Tarnya74MemberYes Hannah in a way i hope my gene test comes back positive for brca because then the decision of whether to have a mastectomy will kind of be made for me. Good luck with it all.
- primekMember@HannahB38 I am awaiting gene testing. I thought triple negative occurs in people without gene mutation also. Same as Es+ and Her2 can occur in people with gene pos. It's all very confusing isn't it. Good to know what you need to do next to remain healthy. Has your sister undergone testing now also ?
- HannahB38MemberI was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer in July. Both my mum and sister have had breast cancer, although not triple negative. I had a bi lateral mastectomy. Have just started chemo FEC and underwent gene testing two weeks ago. Results came back today and I am BRCCA 2 positive. Genetisist has recommended I also have my ovaries removed in the next couple of years. I am only 38. The results for me where good in a way, reconfirmed my bilateral mastectomy and i now know i need to have my ovaries out.
They say that the triple negative cancer is consistent with gene mutations even without a family history. - SoldierCrabMemberTarnya74, I had a double mastectomy when I had my diagnosis at the Breast Cancer Institute at WESTMEAD Nsw... they had no problem with doing it. mind you I had to seek a second opinion as our local surgeon in regional nsw refused point blank to do it. hence me going 4hrs drive away to BCI westmead. you have a right to choose...
- Tarnya74MemberIt is reassuring to know that i am not the only one wanting a double mastectomy with having tnbc. I just want some more peace of mind than just having thorough checks for 5 yrs. I will definitely be looking into my options further
- ccasperMemberAnyway not yesterday
- ccasperMemberHi @Tarnya74
i just got my results yesterday and was negative. I was super stoked about it. I am going to opt for a double mastectomy yesterday. I'm confused as to why they won't give you that choice?
ill be having my surgery post chemo and will choose to have it in the private hospital too. Surely you can dictate a bit more! Good luck x - Tarnya74MemberIwill get gene test results by end of October which is when chemo finishes. My pathology results after lumpectomy were stage 2a grade 3 tnbc. I have not given up on the idea of mastectomy at this stage. Will wait for the results and then argue my point