Forum Discussion
LynJoan
9 years agoMember
Discussion
Hi , This is my first time on this site, and I hope to get some other ladies who have had to make this decision as well. I am 68 and had early Breast Cancer, the cancer was 10 cm in the left breast. ...
primek
9 years agoMember
I chose to have bilatetal due to my family history and breast density and my surgeon actually suggested it. I had a breast mri to exclude a hidden cancer before hand. My Aunt had 2 different primary breast cancers and ovarian cancer and at the time of surgery they thought I may have the same gene. I didn't it turns out. But I haven't regretted my decision. My cancer wasn't detectable on a mammogram 5 weeks before I found a lump. I didn't feel confident that another cancer could be detected before it was huge. I was just lucky it was surface close for the one I had. I do miss my breasts and the sensation of having breasts, but for me the fear of a second new primary in another breast was greater than my desire to keep it.
I had immediate delayed reconstruction...saved skin...tissue expanders in then changeover later. My bc side nipple could not be saved so opted not to bother with either and plan to reconstruct later.
Basically be guided by your gut and the advice from your surgeon
Kath x
I had immediate delayed reconstruction...saved skin...tissue expanders in then changeover later. My bc side nipple could not be saved so opted not to bother with either and plan to reconstruct later.
Basically be guided by your gut and the advice from your surgeon
Kath x