Forum Discussion
Harvey1903
8 years agoMember
Decision to make Invasive DCIS
Hi - I had my first excision 10th May which resulted in 16mm Invasive DCIS ER+ PR+ HER2-. No clear margins.
Second excision 24th May which resulted in 10mm invasive DCIS and a 6mm Tumor (whats the difference?) No clear margins.
Three weeks later - yesterday I had an MRI as I thought they didn't know the second DCIS was there so lets have a proper look.
Firstly I was told I would have the excision and then to radiotherapy and hormone treatment. After the second excision I was just really told what I had and given a booklet 'Breast Prostheses and Reconstruction' nothing else. I am going tomorrow to see the BS with a copy of my MRI and a decision will have to be made.
My question is: (if anyone has any ideas) I would like to have a bilateral mastectomy with skin sparing DIEP flap reconstruction. (After a lot of reading and googling:) However if they throw at me radiation and/or chemo - should that come before reconstruction or after or not at all. I just haven't got my head around this bit.
Thanks Julie.
Second excision 24th May which resulted in 10mm invasive DCIS and a 6mm Tumor (whats the difference?) No clear margins.
Three weeks later - yesterday I had an MRI as I thought they didn't know the second DCIS was there so lets have a proper look.
Firstly I was told I would have the excision and then to radiotherapy and hormone treatment. After the second excision I was just really told what I had and given a booklet 'Breast Prostheses and Reconstruction' nothing else. I am going tomorrow to see the BS with a copy of my MRI and a decision will have to be made.
My question is: (if anyone has any ideas) I would like to have a bilateral mastectomy with skin sparing DIEP flap reconstruction. (After a lot of reading and googling:) However if they throw at me radiation and/or chemo - should that come before reconstruction or after or not at all. I just haven't got my head around this bit.
Thanks Julie.
34 Replies
- kmakmMemberGood on you Julie. Always a relief to have big decisions made. I'm glad you found my photo story helpful. Sleep well tonight! K xox
- Harvey1903MemberHi there - well thanks to everyone I have made the decision to have a mastectomy and reconstruction right breast and have the other boob balanced (right word?) DIEP reconstruction with skin and nipple saving. No chemo or radiotherapy.
MRI was OK, nothing to worry about. Was offered a 3rd excision - which meant I would need radiation after. ??
So now waiting for appointment with PS, two weeks. Then to surgery. Thank you to @kmakm and @JJ70 for your photo stories, and the others that were on the thread (though it took me a while to find you!)
Julie
Breathing easier now... - SisterMemberRads through public system - everything else private has kept my costs minimal so far ( if you don't count the massive health insurance premiums). With the genetics testing, there have been some changes to Medicare subsidies recently so still worth checking out. I got the Braovo test free as my sister was 32 when diagnosed and I have a cousin who had cancer (possibly BC). So it's worth checking into as I thought from reading the website that I would not qualify.
- kmakmMember@nikov Rads is the one treatment I managed to avoid...
- nikovMember@kmakm I know a few people who have, especially with radio
- kmakmMemberI didn't pay for chemo @Nikov. Well, private health insurance, so I suppose I did! But not at the point of having it.
- nikovMemberHaha, yeah definitely worth looking into RE: out of pocket expenses. I still find it odd and feel like I'm the only person that hasn't had to pay for chemo or radio. Am I missing something? :neutral: best of luck with all the decision making @Harvey1903
- Harvey1903Memberthanks @nikov - cost is on my list, going also to Peter Mac. No worry about egg collection that boat has sailed. @kmakm I think a double mastectomy is where I'm heading, I'll let you know after tomorrow. :)
- kmakmMemberIt's brutal eh @Harvey1903? But with the family history and my responsibilities I felt had to throw the kitchen sink at it. The tumour being under 2cms meant that chemo wasn't automatic. The oncotype test sadly isn't covered under Medicare at all. I didn't want to have chemo unecessarily so with my oncologist's advice I did it.
Even with my father's help breast cancer has used all our 'emergency' savings. Cancer is an emergency so that's what they're for I suppose! It's a priority to build them back up now. - nikovMemberHi @Harvey1903 I had microinvasive DCIS and a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction and HER2+. My tumour was 9cms and the nodes were all clear. I did radio after chemo and 11months later I had a prophylactic mastectomy on my left breast in fear of occurrence. All my treatment was done at Peter Mac in Melbourne and the only things I've had to pay for was IVF/Egg Collection (personal choice) and the medication during chemo. Otherwise everything else was covered by Medicare.