Forum Discussion
Blister
5 years agoMember
DCIS treatments
Last Tuesday I had my lumpectomy (wide incision). Yesterday I got my results. Well the are was bigger than first thought and a few of the convicts had escaped (now its invasive) and they aren't happy with the margins on the superior side. The goods news is that it looks like they got all the convicts in the procedure, but now the discussion will be further treatment. Because of the margins they want to go back cut out some more and do a first node biopsy. I have asked for a scan (MRI) so they can get a better picture hopefully, I am deciding do I just bite the bullet and get a mastectomy or just go in for my surgery and hope that this time they got it all and that no more little convicts are out and about. I know they plan to do radiation after, and that this will get the convicts if this is the case.
Has anyone had a similar experience to me, is a mastectomy an overkill?
Is having the MRI worth it does it really show if there are any more areas especially if its as small as they say it is, should I just go straight to surgery?
Has anyone had a similar experience to me, is a mastectomy an overkill?
Is having the MRI worth it does it really show if there are any more areas especially if its as small as they say it is, should I just go straight to surgery?
47 Replies
- ZoffielMember@Blister I remember a conversation with a reluctant surgeon (in 2006, we did not remove breasts if we didn't have to) where I asked if I had to chew the fucking things off myself.
- FLCloverMemberThey sound like pretty nasty side effects @JMC26. Definitely have a talk to your onc about them
- BlisterMember@JMC26 I don’t know the answer, but maybe talk to your doctor or your breast care nurse. I hope you feel better soon, if it doesn’t they might be able to help or start you on a different treatment.
I’m not looking forward to starting these drugs. - JMC26MemberHello Everyne,
I am day 9 of 1mg Anastrozole. Already I have headaches, nausea and mouth ulcers. Is this normal? Will I get used to it or will become my new normal. Feeling confused and would love your feedback please. - ddonMemberWell done for standing your ground and making your own decision. We have to be satisfied in our own hearts that we did the best we could for our health.
- FLCloverMemberI fully support your decision @Blister. I think in your case it’s more invasive to keep having wide excisions, as well as those suspicions areas. 6 months is too long to wait for an aggressive cancer. I’m surprised your surgeon didn’t propose a mastectomy straight away. And you do have every right to make a big deal of it. Your life, your body, your right. Waiting for recon is also a good idea.Good luck with the surgery next week 🍀❤️
- June1952MemberWell done @Blister - you go girl ! Us women just have to be proactive and once we've made up our mind and got the result we want then we do feel so much more at peace. All the best for next week. Keep us posted.
- BlisterMemberWell my surgeon phoned, even though the MRI and ultrasound suggests the nodes are clear she wants to do the sentinel node biopsy, I have told her I want the mastectomy, I don’t want to have another wide excision with the possibility more has to go, and I don’t want to wait and see what the 2 other areas do in 6 months time.I’m happy with my decision, will wait and do the reconstruction next year, as there is still a possibility of me having to have radiation therapy.
so next week I’m booked in - BlisterMember@Afraser I have extra ears at the appointments but it’s a bit difficult when she calls, as I’ve either been in the car (hands free) on my own, or at home on my own. I’ve also come to realize my hubby doesn’t always retain stuff, I don’t think he has quite come to grips with my BC yet.@Leia I’ve talked to my daughter this morning, as my husband will support my choice but not talk it through with me, have decided I don’t want to go in for another wide excision to be told I have to go back in for surgery, and I don’t to sit and wait 6 months to find out what these suspicious areas do. Since they have told me my cancer is aggressive.
- LeiaMemberSo many choices to make! When I was diagnosed with IDC I had the same choice as you. I pondered (agonized?) over getting rid of everything with a mastectomy, or go with the lumpectomy and radiation, and that nagging little worry it could recur. My surgeon recommended the lumpectomy but stressed he was happy with whatever decision I made. I decided on the lumpectomy, really a personal choice that fear aside, I’d rather have what I considered the less invasive procedure. Thinking of you at this time. Whatever you decide, you’ve obviously thought it through, and it will be the best for you.