Forum Discussion
Chrissy555
9 years agoMember
Bi lateral mastectomy/ options when cancer only in 1 breast
Hi,
i have Early breast cancer 7 cm tumour in left breast, do not know if nodes are involved as yet, however surgeon has recommended to have all lymph nodes under arm removed, and more than likely radiation after mastectomy.
i am a large busted woman, and want reconstruction later when I have healed after radiation etc.
my question is I would like other breast removed without cancer, as I feel I will be mismatched due to the fact I am a Dd cup, can anyone share their experience, with reconstruction. Surgeon said because no cancer in right breast, and it does not Lower risk significantly of reducing cancer in that breast she would not perform double mastectomy. I feel strongly and have had 6 months to think about this whilst having chemotherapy.
thanks
Chrissy
i have Early breast cancer 7 cm tumour in left breast, do not know if nodes are involved as yet, however surgeon has recommended to have all lymph nodes under arm removed, and more than likely radiation after mastectomy.
i am a large busted woman, and want reconstruction later when I have healed after radiation etc.
my question is I would like other breast removed without cancer, as I feel I will be mismatched due to the fact I am a Dd cup, can anyone share their experience, with reconstruction. Surgeon said because no cancer in right breast, and it does not Lower risk significantly of reducing cancer in that breast she would not perform double mastectomy. I feel strongly and have had 6 months to think about this whilst having chemotherapy.
thanks
Chrissy
24 Replies
- UnicornkissesMemberOne thing my surgeon did suggest, Chrissy555 is that I have an MRI after chemo finishes. This is to check the remaining left breast for both our peace of mind before going in for right breast mastectomy.
The pathology for the left breast after reduction came back as negative for any cancerous changes, but that was only in the tissue removed.
the MRI apparently costs $599.
Perhaps that may be an option for you.
It won't stop changes in the future if you keep the good one, but may help you decide now. - ChorsellMemberHi Chrissy I elected to have bilateral and immediate recon as I had strong family history (not tested for the gene) and given my situation my surgeon supported that decision.
one thing to consider in the immediate vs delayed recon is wait times if you are public...
if if you want to explore the options available in relation to reconstruction and view some members photo stories with the different procedures there is a closed group on this network "Choosing Breast Reconstruction" which may provide a useful resource if you are contemplating all of your options.
Regards
Chris - melclarityMemberChrissy, youre absolutely right, if you dont need to do anythng immediately, time to decide is good. I took 14 months once Id finished treatment to get my head around the surgery, it was preventative. I also had no choices as this was a recurrence, so I couldnt do expanders or implants due to having had radiation in 2011. Ive kept most of my breast skin strangely lol, just lost the nipple and about 2 inch diameter so pretty big which they took the contents and filled it with my stomach fat and the disc was my stomach skin. Im big breasted too an E CUP. Its turned out way better than I could have imagined as I was really traumatized going into it. You'll work it out whats best for you xx Melinda
- unknownMemberHi unicornkisses - great that your surgeon said it was your choice in regard to having double mastectomy. My surgeon said it was extreme, so I didn't think or research it especially as I had so many other things to think and decide about. now I wish I had looked into it. Its good that you are giving yourself time to think about what you want to do, well done and good luck.
- Jane221MemberHi @Chrissy555, it's good that you have time to really weigh up your choices and decide if you want to go ahead with a double mastectomy and possibly reconstruction as these are not easy questions and everyone has different life circumstances that will impact on what feels best for them. I had a single mastectomy with lymph node clearance and delayed (2yrs) DIEP (tummy tissue) reconstruction back in 2014 . I had a DIEP reconstruction (due to radiation) and as part of the reconstruction process also had a reduction on the other side, giving me two pretty symmetrical boobs. Although I do worry about a cancer occurring on the other side, one of the good things about keeping one breast is that it is sexually responsive whereas most reconstructed breasts will be numb or have a lot less feeling.
If you decide you'd like to pursue reconstruction, try to see a few different plastic surgeons as they all specialise in particular procedures and may not offer you the full set of options that you might want. In the meantime, please feel free to join the Choosing Breast Reconstruction group and check out the Reclaim Your Curves website for further information on the different types of mastectomy and reconstruction choices. Best of luck, Jane xx - SoldierCrabMemberhi to @Chrissy555 and @Unicornkisses I started a group on facebook. that is about no reconstruction, foobs and flat.... here is the link http://www.facebook.com/groups/bcnoffaaduaustralia/
you can come and ask some questions etc and we will answer from a no reconstruction point of view some ladies come in stay even if they choose reconstruction as we dont say that can't.
No pressure what so ever just thought it might also give you another side of the equation. - UnicornkissesMemberHi Chrissy, I was a DD bordering on an E.
I am in the private system and my surgeon did a lumpectomy with a bilateral reduction at the same time.
unfortunately due to the unexpected pathology after surgery, the affected breast has to come off with lymph node clearance.
when I mentioned to the surgeon that because of the worry of mammograms missing my lumps that maybe I should have both off, she said it was entirely my choice.
I haven't decided yet what to do.
I am 57 and don't think I want to go through more surgeries, so am also undecided about reconstruction.
I am happy with the reduction to a C cup on the good breast, so perhaps will end up keeping it, especially if I do decide on reconstruction down the track.
I know I need to do a lot more research, but it can be so hard to make these decisions because you never really know how you are going to feel about it until you actually go through it.
Good luck with your decision making, and I hope you are comfortable with your choice. - SoldierCrabMemberhi @Chrissy555 I am from Sydney. I had a bilateral Mastectomy back in 2012 with no reconstruction and I dont wish for reconstruction. I have multiple allergies and I am comfortable with myself flat, I dont wear Prosthesis and have adjusted my wardrobe to blend with this.
- Chrissy555MemberHi Nikki,
thats great, for me I think I need some time before I decide on anything so like you will wait at least 12 months, I have to have radiation so limited choices anyway for immediate.
Thanks again for your response to my question,
good luck and good for you - nikkidMemberHey Chrissy, I waited for 12 months too - but only because I wasn't ready initially. I had an aeroform tissue expander inserted so I had a bit of a cleavage and have work a prosthesis (soft padded insert) during that time. The next thing is to have a boob made out of my own flesh and then my right one done to match. It's a bit daunting but also v exciting x