Forum Discussion
nonkyboy
9 years agoMember
Feeling nervous now
8 weeks ago I was diagnosed with INVASIVE DUCTAL CARCINOMA AND DUCTAL CARCINOMA IN SITU. I saw the breast surgeon within a few days and she sent me to have multitudes of scans, blood tests etc. my di...
Zoffiel
9 years agoMember
That's pretty stressful @nonkyboy. I'm guessing that your case is complicated and, quite rightly, issues with hearts and anaesthetic trump a lump in the boob.
Just throwing this out there--I have a friend who, due to her age, is in the process of deciding what surgery she is up to having. We're going in today to talk to a surgeon about bypassing the lumpectomy stage and going straight to a mastectomy. My friend, quite rightly, is more worried about two anaesthetics and the possibility of two hospital stays than she is about losing the breast which, given the size of the tumour, is likely to happen anyway. She's a very pragmatic woman.
It sounds like have already been through the wringer. I hope it all starts coming together. Many of us have had delays in treatment. My chemo was put off for nearly three months because of post op complications.. it nearly did my head in. I was reluctant to have another go at chemo anyway (I've had a recurrence) and the delay put me in a space where I was on the borderline off whether it was going to be worth while to have it. I still wonder if I did the right thing by going ahead but that's another story.
If you haven't linked up with a breast care nurse yet, I'd say how is the time to do it. They are fantastic at keeping you same when everything feels like it is unravelling and have really good advice and resources for dealing with family concerns.
Good luck, Marg.
Just throwing this out there--I have a friend who, due to her age, is in the process of deciding what surgery she is up to having. We're going in today to talk to a surgeon about bypassing the lumpectomy stage and going straight to a mastectomy. My friend, quite rightly, is more worried about two anaesthetics and the possibility of two hospital stays than she is about losing the breast which, given the size of the tumour, is likely to happen anyway. She's a very pragmatic woman.
It sounds like have already been through the wringer. I hope it all starts coming together. Many of us have had delays in treatment. My chemo was put off for nearly three months because of post op complications.. it nearly did my head in. I was reluctant to have another go at chemo anyway (I've had a recurrence) and the delay put me in a space where I was on the borderline off whether it was going to be worth while to have it. I still wonder if I did the right thing by going ahead but that's another story.
If you haven't linked up with a breast care nurse yet, I'd say how is the time to do it. They are fantastic at keeping you same when everything feels like it is unravelling and have really good advice and resources for dealing with family concerns.
Good luck, Marg.