Mum's diagnosis - It begins!

Options
Jeska
Jeska Member Posts: 20
So my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer about a month or two ago and there are a few spots on her lungs as well. She officially started chemo (Abraxane) yesterday. She will have it once a week for 3 weeks, then switch to Herceptin for 3 weeks then back to chemo for 3 etc. This will go on for six months.

I think it's going to be so full on for her. I wonder how long it will take for chemo side effects to start. I wonder if Herceptin has many side effects. I'm going to visit her for her second session next week, I wonder if she will still have all her hair. I just wonder everything.

I don't even know what response I want, I just needed to say that.
Tagged:

Comments

• denisep
    denisep Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jeska, so sorry to hear about your precious mum. I had Abraxane about 2 years ago. I had very few side effects although I did lose my hair. I havent had Herceptin and dont know a lot about it. Im sure she will have few side effects from either. Side effects always sound really scary but just be positive and try and greet every day as a happy one. It sounds like she is a very lucky lady to have you by her side. 

Sending you all positive vibes and lots of hugs. Denise xxx

• Jeska
    Jeska Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much for replying Denise :)

I spoke to her last night and she seemed fine, just tired. Perhaps any effects will build up more over time as she has more sessions, not sure really. She was really frightened about nausea and vomiting, and she's pretty sad about losing her hair. I'm visiting her next week (I live quite far away) so I might go hat and scarf shopping tonight I think :)
  • Pamelamary
    Pamelamary Member Posts: 240
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jeska,

It is only natural for you to wonder - about everything. Your mother has entered a whole new world, where we have to acquire a whole lot of knowledge about stuff we would rather not know. It will be important for you both to remember that this disease and its treatment are very individual - what works for one person may not work for another. The doctors tell us that it can often be managed like a chronic disease; I guess that's what we hope for, that we can live as well as possible without too many side effects.

I haven't had Abraxane, but understand it is relatively bearable and I hope your mother has a good response. Herceptin is likely to be a long term treatment, but doesn't have many side effects at all - on its own, the hair grows back again! Feel free to ask questions here, and maybe your mother might be interested in the site as well.

Best wishes to you both.... Pam

• Rosanna
    Rosanna Member Posts: 284
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Jeska
    I don't have abraxane but another chemo drug, I am having Herceptin since March and will last for 1year. As far as I know Herceptin is a target drug, not chemo drug, the major affection would be heart function, hospital arranged a Ecardiology before infusion and keep monitor every 3months.
    Hope she will feel alright, btw your existence , support and loving care make more effect than medication I would say. make her happy and lauge at all time.
    Take care
    Rosanna
  • Liztay82
    Liztay82 Member Posts: 213
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm currently have chemo weekly and also herception I'm doing well no sickness nothing I have 10 weeks of chemo then continue my herception till next July my chemo is different to ure mums mine is called something else
  • Liztay82
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hope she has no sickness she will be amazing just like all of us ladies
  • denisep
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi everyone,  to you Jeska so pleased to see all these responses to you. It will be a great help to you.xxx

To all out there, I am really interested to hear more about Hercepton. I started my first round of Caelyx yesterday followed by 2 bags of blood to pep me up. It has worked a treat. Do you have to have a certain type of breast cancer to have Hercepton. I have read that it can change with the second diagnosis.  How do the oncologists know if 1st and 2nd diagnosis is the same ? Hope this makes sense.

Sending positive vibes to you all! Have a happy day,  Denise xxx

• denisep
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi everyone,  to you Jeska so pleased to see all these responses to you. It will be a great help to you.xxx

To all out there, I am really interested to hear more about Hercepton. I started my first round of Caelyx yesterday followed by 2 bags of blood to pep me up. It has worked a treat. Do you have to have a certain type of breast cancer to have Hercepton. I have read that it can change with the second diagnosis.  How do the oncologists know if 1st and 2nd diagnosis is the same ? Hope this makes sense.

Sending positive vibes to you all! Have a happy day,  Denise xxx

• Liztay82
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm her 2 positive
  • Liztay82
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My lump was tested that's what it came back as
  • Pamelamary
    edited March 2015
    Options

Herceptin is only of use if you are Her2+ and pathology results are necessary. It is possible for characteristics of cancer to change from primary to secondary diagnosis. Ideally a biopsy should be done, but this is not always easy.

Regards... Pam

• Pamelamary
    edited March 2015
    Options

Herceptin is only of use if you are Her2+ and pathology results are necessary. It is possible for characteristics of cancer to change from primary to secondary diagnosis. Ideally a biopsy should be done, but this is not always easy.

Regards... Pam

• Mone82
    Mone82 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Has anyone been on caelyx. And what side effects did you get