New information booklet for men diagnosed with breast cancer

Annie Gayed
Annie Gayed Member Posts: 204
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

To help improve support and information for men with breast cancer, BCNA has produced Men get breast cancer too, a free information booklet.

Our new booklet provides information specifically for men - about the disease, its treatments, and ways to deal with some of the common challenges you may face after a diagnosis.

The booklet was developed with men diagnosed with breast cancer and their family members, health professionals and researchers.

Men get breast cancer too includes informationabout:

• Risk factors that increase a man’s risk of developing breast cancer
  • Types of breast cancer
  • Breast cancer treatments
  • Secondary breast cancer
  • Coping with your diagnosis
  • Sharing news of your diagnosis with others
  • Financial and practical concerns
  • Changes in sexual wellbeing
  • Depression and anxiety
  • Fear of recurrence

The free booklet can be ordered online via our website or by calling BCNA on 1800 500 258.

For more information about breast cancer in men, visit our male breast cancer page.

Annie

Comments

• lesc69
    lesc69 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015

Hi Diana,

What  a fantastic booklet that has just been released. I was at my regular post surgery meeting with the surgical team, when the local breast nurse saw mw and said that she would send me the booklet to read. I have read it cover to cover and absolutely loved it.

It is so true and accurate and such a god send for all male diagnosed with breast cancer. For the team at BCNA keep up the great work.

• lesc69
    lesc69 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015

Hi Diana,

What  a fantastic booklet that has just been released. I was at my regular post surgery meeting with the surgical team, when the local breast nurse saw mw and said that she would send me the booklet to read. I have read it cover to cover and absolutely loved it.

It is so true and accurate and such a god send for all male diagnosed with breast cancer. For the team at BCNA keep up the great work.

• ctsteel
    ctsteel Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015

I liked the new info booklet as well and am very glad that BCNA have released it as it's the sort of information I would have wanted to read, in the format I would have wanted at the time of my diagnosis.  

On a side note I do wish however that other booklets that are of equal application to both genders, didn't have such a focus on women.  For example the Bone Health booklet that was published in January -many references to women and how Tamoxifen is used for women etc - well I am on Tamoxifen too but I can't actually trust that the information contained in it has even considered my circumstances (and the possibility of side effects that may differ by gender) since it appears the researchers all have a habit of only focussing on one gender.  I hope this changes as it's a disservice to the other men who are being diagnosed and looking for information and support.