Men who have lost a partner to breast cancer

Options
Poppy
Poppy Member Posts: 1

Hi

this is my first blog post to the BCNA site. I've just joined, hoping to make contact with other men whose partners/wives have died as a result of breast cancer, either directly or indirectly.

My first wife, Kate, was diagnosed in 1992, and fought the cancer for five and a half years, before committing suicide in 1997, when her last treatment option started to fail. She had been adamant all along that she didn't want to go into hospital and have the end of her life managed as a medical issue -- she had seen her mother go through this several years earlier.

I've now remarried, and we have a wonderful seven-year-old daugher who inspires me daily with her energy, her humour, and her determination to get her own way. (Well, the last quality is more often frustrating than inspiring, but I just have to remind myself that she's going to grow into a strong and capable woman because of that determination...)

So, if there are any other men here who are in a similar boat as I am, and would like to catch up either online or (if you live in Inner Western Sydney) in person, please drop me a reply.

As for my profile name, Poppy: that was Kate's nickname for me. I could have just used some version of my real name (Jim), but I thought it was a fitting tribute in this community to take the name that she called me for the 12 years we shared our lives.

Jim/Poppy

Tagged:

Comments

• Kirsten_BCNA
    Kirsten_BCNA Staff Posts: 57
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Jim

What an incredible piece - you have even stirred me to write a little tribute to generous souls, like you on my blog.

Thank you for being so generous, a very powerful piece indeed.

Not long after we read your blog here at BCNA - we had a call from another man who was also keen to connect. So I am sure it will not be too long and you will be linked in to many men.

Stay strong!