Introducing ourselves

Options
Janey235
Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
edited January 2014 in General discussion
My name is Janey and I am starting up this group for Ladies who may find it difficult to get to other Melbourne groups but who can travel into the City. I live north of Melbourne out past Whittlesea but I travel into the city area for treatment and appointments at Peter Mac Cancer Hospital in East Melbourne.

A bit about my journey..... My diagnosis was 20th December 2012 so 2013 was my year of getting well and healing having had a lumpectomy, to remove two lumps (one was TNBC and the other was ER & HER2 +) then 6 months of chemo, double mastectomy and immediate DIEP/TRAM reconstruction in Sept 2013. I developed a DVT in my right calf and then Pulminary Embolisms to both my lungs so I am on blood thinners, daily injections until May when my Haemotologist may put me onto Warfarin tablets (fingers crossed).

I will still have three weekly Herceptin treatments until May this year and am on daily Femara hormone tablets for at least 5 years. I will have revision surgery later this year to correct some minor issues with my reconstruction and maybe get my new nipples.

I'm now out of the tunnel and feeling well and happy. I am discovering my new normal and living life to the fullest.

Janey xxx

Comments

• Janey235
    edited March 2015
    Options

I've lived in Eden Park just out of Whittlesea on the Wallan Road for nearly 32 years. I drive past the old yards all the time. It's such a pity that they closed down. The Mernda Pub has this monstrosity latched onto the side and back now. It's the new 'Pokies' venue for the area more's the pity. Oh well, that's progress.

Janey xxx

• Janey235
    edited March 2015
    Options

I've lived in Eden Park just out of Whittlesea on the Wallan Road for nearly 32 years. I drive past the old yards all the time. It's such a pity that they closed down. The Mernda Pub has this monstrosity latched onto the side and back now. It's the new 'Pokies' venue for the area more's the pity. Oh well, that's progress.

Janey xxx

• Carolynvj
    Carolynvj Member Posts: 78
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My name is Carolyn & even though I don't live in Melbourne, I am having all my treatment at Peter Mac so thought I would join this group.

My diagnosis was 2nd May 2013. I had a right mastectomy & axillary clearance. I had node positive ER+ PR+ & HER2+ IDC. I received 8 rounds of chemo being 4 AC followed by 4 TH. Having Herceptin every 3 weeks until September 2014, undergoing 5 weeks of radiation, on daily Tamoxifin. I am also participating in the Aphinity trial. I am receiving Herceptin & placebo or Herceptin & Pertuzumab (I think that is how it is spelt..? & it is supposed to be a new wonder drug to help combat HER2+)

I am looking into having reconstruction done in the future & find the Breast Reconstruction Group extremely helpful & knowledgeable.

I can't wait to be finished all this treatment & not be so tied down to appointments etc. I know it will be all finished before I know it.
    Carolyn
  • Carolynvj
    Carolynvj Member Posts: 78
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My name is Carolyn & even though I don't live in Melbourne, I am having all my treatment at Peter Mac so thought I would join this group.

My diagnosis was 2nd May 2013. I had a right mastectomy & axillary clearance. I had node positive ER+ PR+ & HER2+ IDC. I received 8 rounds of chemo being 4 AC followed by 4 TH. Having Herceptin every 3 weeks until September 2014, undergoing 5 weeks of radiation, on daily Tamoxifin. I am also participating in the Aphinity trial. I am receiving Herceptin & placebo or Herceptin & Pertuzumab (I think that is how it is spelt..? & it is supposed to be a new wonder drug to help combat HER2+)

I am looking into having reconstruction done in the future & find the Breast Reconstruction Group extremely helpful & knowledgeable.

I can't wait to be finished all this treatment & not be so tied down to appointments etc. I know it will be all finished before I know it.
    Carolyn
  • yetbeung
    yetbeung Member Posts: 167
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm Bobbie, and have been in Melbourne (St Kilda) for around 7 years. Love it here, would never live anywhere else unless it was somewhere overseas :-) 

I found my cancer on my 32nd birthday (21st September) then was diagnosed on 1st November. Grade 3 Triple Negative. Lumpectomy on 6th November (my mum's 60th birthday) and thank god it was clear margins & nodes.

I'm now half way through my chemo adventure, due to finish on 18th March, all going well (not that I'm counting!) and I'm going to be having radiation also, not sure yet of the schedule for this. I've been tested for BRCA 1 & 2, don't have the results yet, and this will dictate any future surgery. Trying not to think about that too much just yet!

Apart from all that stuff, I love travelling and have a soft spot for Asia, having been an exchange studentfor 12 months in Thailand when I was 16. In October I'm heading to New Delhi then travelling across to Kathmandu over 2 weeks, it will be a little congratulatory present!

I'm not working, but am extremely keen to get back to work ASAP, I was working at Dept. of Immigration before all this and enjoyed it immensely. I also have a keen interest in photography, the arts and live music, millinery and playing dress ups in general! 

Looking forward to reading more about the other Melbournites!

From Bobbie

• itsme203
    itsme203 Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi all...I wish we could have all met under different circumstances. My name is Lucy. I am an American and have been living here for almost 3 years. I live in Southbank. On 17 Janaury...my 50th birthday...I had may routine mammogram (I dubbed it Birthday mammogram; everyone asked me why I went on my birthday to which my response was why not? Afterall, I had over 10 normal mammograms up to this point). Anyways, the radiologist found a new spot of microcalcifications, so there was mag views followed by US then recommendation for biopsy. Saw breast surgeon who recommended a core bx, done immediately and 2 days later i was told I had cancer! I have Papillary cancer (very rare I'm told) as well as DCIS. I'm planning a mastectomy with immediate reconstrution if the PS agrees and if the node bx is negative (which I will have done prior to mx). I am considering the DIEP. Thats if for my story as it's only just been started. I do work fulltime so lunch will be diffiuclt however, I think I'm going to have some time off soon!

• LisaC
    LisaC Member Posts: 75
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm an ex Melbournite formerly from East bentleigh. I now live 2 hours NE Victoria in a small town called Euroa.

Early 2013 I started tests after finding what turned out to be a cyst. I have had many of them aspirated over the years and thought nothing more of it, however when waiting for my ultrasound and mammogram I felt a mass. Turns out 2 lumps in right breast IDC and DCIS ER & PR positive in my right breast. I made the decision to have a bi lateral mastectomy after suspicious ultra sounds and MRI.  Although biopsies showed all clear in the left breast, after nearly a month of testing and consultations I decided to take both breasts. I felt I couldn't live with that stress of always wondering. I lost my mother to breast cancer when she was 56 and I had my first cyst surgically removed when I was 18. I felt my boobs had served their purpose and have no regrets.

I have done 6 cycles of chemo - 3 FEC5 and 3 docetaxel. I had 2 positive lymph nodes out of 13 but it was only micro so didn't need radiation. I am on tamoxifen now for 5 years.

At the time of bi lateral mastectomy I had tissue expanders placed and have been having fortnightly saline injections since I finished chemo and I am looking forward to exchange surgery to implants in March cos these babies are rock hard!

I'm really looking forward to sharing experiences that can only be shared if you have gone through it yourself. All my doctors are in Melbourne so I'm happy to travel down. Can't wait to meet you all, Take care Lisa xx

• SaraK
    SaraK Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi there

My breast cancer story.  I can hardly write this, it's hard to write down and know where to begin.  I went to Japan for a holiday in May 2013 and two days into the trip I found a lump the size of half a boiled egg in my left breast.  I still don't know how I could have missed it up until then.  I completed my trip and on my return I immediately went to my doctor.  She organised a mammogram and ultrasound for two days later.  She also gave me a referral to the Breast Clinic and explained that it's always good to get a second opinion, so to make an appointment at the Breast Clinic as well as attending the mammogram.  My mammogram and ultrasound came back clear.  I went several weeks later to the Breast Clinic where they took a biopsy.  I went back to be told that there were some abnormal cells shown and to come to a day procedure in hospital the following week for a follow up test under anaesthetic.  Another week later I returned to the Breast Clinic to see the surgeon - alone as I had not really expected to be told anything bad.  Cancer!!!  I have grade 2 ER+ PR+ invasive lobular carcinoma HER 2 negative.  I have had a full axillary clearance which showed cancer in 4 nodes.  After a lumpectomy which did not reach clear margins I had a mastectomy of my left breast.  I have had six cycles of chemo, first three FEC second three taxotare, and am now having radiation until March.  I understand that I will then be on Femara for ten years.  I won't be having any reconstructive surgery, and am working on being comfortable wearing no prosthesis under my clothing. 

phewf, done!

Sara

• Karolinka
    Karolinka Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, I'm Karolina. I'm 37 and have a BRCA1 mutation. I was diagnosed with early breast cancer mid January (DCIS+invasive ductal carcinoma NST, BRE grade 3, HER2+, ER+, PR+, 51mm, no lymph nodes involved). Because of the gene, I decided on having double mastectomy. I had surgery and simultaneous reconstruction a few days after the diagnosis and am approaching chemotherapy, planned to start early March. Looking forward to meeting and sharing my experience with others :)

• Karolinka
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, I'm Karolina. I'm 37 and have a BRCA1 mutation. I was diagnosed with early breast cancer mid January (DCIS+invasive ductal carcinoma NST, BRE grade 3, HER2+, ER+, PR+, 51mm, no lymph nodes involved). Because of the gene, I decided on having double mastectomy. I had surgery and simultaneous reconstruction a few days after the diagnosis and am approaching chemotherapy, planned to start early March. Looking forward to meeting and sharing my experience with others :)

• Karolinka
    edited March 2015
    Options

• Janey235
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for sharing your story on our 'Introducing Ourselves' blog. Are you interested in joining our group? You just have to click on the 'request to join' link here http://www.bcna.org.au/group/70587 and I can process this straight away. We are actually having a get together in the City tomorrow. There are about 7 of us going. You can get the details in the 'February Lunch' blog here http://www.bcna.org.au/network/groups/70587/blog/71220. If you do join our group, I can keep you up to date on our ongoing monthly lunches. Hope to see you. Love Janey xxx

• Karolinka
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for the message. I just clicked on the link you mentioned so hopefully will soon be a member :) Would love to join you for the lunch tomorrow! And, please do keep me updated about the future lunches even if by any chance I'm not able to make it tomorrow. I still feel a bit sore and weak after the surgery, so there is some chance I may not feel up to it after all - sorry about not being able declare myself with absolute certainty - I hope that's ok. Hopefully, see you tomorrow. Karolina xxx

• Janey235
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I can now officially welcome you to our group Karolinka. Hope to see you tomorrow.
    Cheers Janey xxx
  • Karonjulie
    Karonjulie Member Posts: 72
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi janey
    I have been admitted through emergency yesterday as I was having really bad pains when trying to breath. They did X-ray and ct and said clear for clots but i had pneumonia. So they admitted me to put me on antibiotics. I was going home tonight when a doctor came in at 2 and said that on closer look they noticed a few small clots on my right lung. I am so devastated. I had been getting the injections anyway while in here but now waiting for tomorrow to see what drs decided...injections or tablets.

I just tear up thinking about it:(

I am just so scared now. I was recovering so well it has come as such a shock.

Thanks for listening to me.

Karon