Just getting started

Options
JessicaV
JessicaV Member Posts: 297
edited January 2014 in General discussion

Just wanted to say "Hi!"

I am a newbie,61yrs old, just had a lump ultrasounded and xrayed on Tuesday and the radiologist told me to get to my GP asap, and rang my GP herself. I have an IDC with associated DCIS, which looks like a fluffy lollypop.This was totally out of the blue.

I am booked to see Peter Willsher tomorrow and understand I will have surgery in the next ten days.. My GP said she is fairly sure they will want to do a mastectomy because of the length of the tumor, which is fine by me: I am ok about losing a breast if it gives me back my life and leaves me free from cancer.

For me at the moment, the hardest time is the afternoon, when the earth falls away under my feet and the terror of where I am fills me. I am building  skills for managing this and for diminishing its hold on me. I am also frantically trying to get all the info I can on what to expect so I can plan how to manage my work commitment. I need to know when I will be well enough to work, so that I do not let people down or mess them around. Hard to plan until I have seen Peter, maybe till I have had my surgery and path results.

It is so difficult knowing as much as I do but not enough to know where I stand or what my treatment will be.

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are facing all this, none of us ever wanted or expected to find ourselves in this position. You are right in thinking that it is difficult to plan anything too far ahead until you know what your path results are and therefore what treatment you will need.

You have probably heard it already but it really is the case for one step at a time, the first step being surgery. Concentrate on having yourself in as good a position as possible for this. I kept up my regular walking and this helped me emotionally as well as physically. I too went searching for as much info as possible. I think it helps to read up on what to expect. Once I knew I was to have a mastectomy, I researched what I would need for hospital and afterwards and went shopping for this.

This site is a great place for info, advice and just to 'talk' with others who have been in the same boat. Once you know what surgery and treatment you will be having you can find a lot of info in your 'My Journey Kit' and advice from the many women who are going through or have been through this. Adean is right when she says that you must put yourself first during this time. Others will understand and everything has a way of working out.

I have had a mastectomy, chemo, radiation and am now on tamoxifen (hormone therapy). I am recovering well and can tell you that you do get through everything and I am enjoying life again. Wishing you all the best. Let us know how you go. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well it's not what you would expect for the new year, but we never know what's ahead of us, first of all make sure you put yourself first ,lots of us worry about everything else and those around us, but don't  forget to be kind to yourself. i did not take enough time out but thought returning to things would make me normal again. twit! Make sure you get the my journey kit from here it's invaluable through the time, I don't know if you have a partner, but the pamphlet i wish i could fix it,which is downloaded from here is also great. And of course this sight is great. Yes waiting is the worst and all sorts of things go through you head, stupid thoughts mostly. Try to keep busy lots of us will tell you we had the cleanest houses! The time will go quick ,your life becomes filled with appointments, but you do look back and think I can't believe it felt like yesterday.  I myself 17 months down the track Regards adean

• adean
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well it's not what you would expect for the new year, but we never know what's ahead of us, first of all make sure you put yourself first ,lots of us worry about everything else and those around us, but don't  forget to be kind to yourself. i did not take enough time out but thought returning to things would make me normal again. twit! Make sure you get the my journey kit from here it's invaluable through the time, I don't know if you have a partner, but the pamphlet i wish i could fix it,which is downloaded from here is also great. And of course this sight is great. Yes waiting is the worst and all sorts of things go through you head, stupid thoughts mostly. Try to keep busy lots of us will tell you we had the cleanest houses! The time will go quick ,your life becomes filled with appointments, but you do look back and think I can't believe it felt like yesterday.  I myself 17 months down the track Regards adean

• adean
    edited March 2015
    Options

• Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options

Love your name. It's my daughter's name so I'm a bit bias.

I'm sorry you have found yourself amoungst us but welcome to a fantastic site where you'll find understanding, support, friendship and advice from wonderful women who are all here to listen. You can jump on here anytime and rant and rave, ask questions, get your feelings off our chest (pardon the pun) or just tell your story. There are no judgements here.

Adean and Deanne have already given you good advice on looking after yourself. You need to concentrate on getting well. Your work can cope. I found that out very early on when I thought I'd let people down like you. I wanted to work through my treatments but I just couldn't. My employers were very undertstanding and they found a temporary replacement to fill my position very quickly. If there is ever was a time to be selfish Jessica, now is that time. You need to be kind to yourself before everything else.

It is perfectly normal to experience terror and anxiety through this journey. It's a crazy rollercoaster of a ride and you'll have your good days and bad days. After the initial shock of diagnosis and once you have a plan of action, you'll find that you'll get into a kind of routine and as Deanne said, your days will be filled with appointments and treatments. I wrote a poem about waiting which you might like to read. I'm pleased that other ladies have liked it and I was very chuffed when the BCNA used it for their Melbourne Christmas appeal. Here is the link to my blog. http://www.bcna.org.au/user/12607/blog/62506 I hope you enjoy it. There is also a great post called "What helps you when you are down or stressed" from a wonderful lady, Mich, who we all look up to as our inspiration. Here is the link http://www.bcna.org.au/user/8430/blog/70425  It has so great ideas to help you through.

My journer began with a lumpectomy, 6 months of chemo, double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction surgery. I am still having Herceptin treatments every three weeks until May this year and I'm on hormone therapy for at least the next 5 years via daily tablets. I used to think of 2013 was the worst year of my life but now I've turned it into my year of healing. I am just over one year from diagnosis (20/12/2012) and like Deanne, I can tell you that I am feeling well and happy again. I have found my new normal and I know you will too.

Love and hugs

Janey xxx

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sorry about your bc diagnosis but a BIG welcome to this network.You poor love, what a way to start the new year! Sounds like you have a good GP who is on the ball and moving it all along for you.As soon as you get that awful news, you just want the cancer out asap.The waiting and the unknown are the hardest parts of this journey and distraction is your best defence for those times.I would schedule cupboard clean outs etc-anything to take my mind off cancer,which I invisaged was travelling all through my body at an alarming rate! The BCNA 'My Journey Kit' is a great resource to get you up to speed and you can order it for free.I've had breast cancer twice-2003 a lumpectomy,full node clearance,radiation and then in 2010,a mastectomy then chemo.Both surgeries are similar painwise and recoverywise.A full node clearance is probably the harder bit to get over.I went back to work 4 weeks after the first op and 3 weeks after the second op.Until you have your surgery and get the pathology results,you won't really know what treatment you'll need.You will most likely be in hospital for 3 days and maybe go home with a drain left in.I found it easier to have button down the front pjs and a loose shirt to wear home.Regardless of which operation you have,ask the breast care nurse(or GP)to order the free Berlei post op bra and soft form from BCNA.Also have some singlets/camis on hand as you won't want to wear a bra for a few weeks.We are all here at this network to support each other so ask any questions and vent any fears.It's normal for you to feel anxious at the moment but after Tuesday,you'll have a plan and will start to feel a little in control again.And remember,the majority of women with early breast cancer survive and live well.I'm fine and am enjoying life now.  Sending hugs, Tonya xx 

• lyndar
    lyndar Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jessica,

I'm in a similar situation to you.  i was diagnosed on 5/12/13 with DCIS and had a wide local excision and sentinel node biopsy.  Unfortunately, clear margins weren't obtained and now Im booked in for a mastectomy tomorrow.  I found out on 20/12 that I needed more surgery and then everything closed for Christmas.  I am grateful for the time as I have read a lot, talked to breast cancer survivors, had heaps of support from friends and family and now i feel prepared for the next step.  I don't know what treatment will be advised after my surgery yet, so still unsure how long I will be off work.  I  had 3 weeks off after surgery and recovered well.  I now have a plan, workwise, and i'm not worried about work anymore.  Now i can concentrate on my health and doing whatever I need to beat this breast cancer!

I have found exercise, music and deep relaxation to be really beneficial for me.  I am feeling feeling  fairly calm, but naturally anxious about tomorrow's surgery.  I have found this network to be reassuring and informative.  The women are all brave and honest sharing their stories.

All the best with your treatment.

• JessicaV
    JessicaV Member Posts: 297
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lyndar,  I wanted to thank you for sharing that we are in similar places, and what you have been through, which seems like pretty hard stuff to go though. You sound as if you have come to terms with the idea of a mastectomy, and don't feel too battered around by the lack of margins and need for more surgery. I also wanted to wish you well, and to know that I will be thinking of you and sending you hope and health to the best of my ability while you are in surgery tomorrow.

• gypsy
    gypsy Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Jessica I am not too far ahead of you on this journey just having my op 3 days ago. Stayed in hospital 2 nights and today went for a chest, abdo and pelvis ct scan, tomorrow dressing check and Thursday a bone scan. So it is all happening, and everyone keeps telling me rest!!!! All I can say is take each step at a time and don't read too much that your head starts spinning with an overwhelming amount of information that may or not relate to you. Ask questions and make sure that you informed of each step along the way. One thing I have noticed is that this community is wonderful and all of the healthcare providers in the breast cancer space have been nothing but brilliant? Keep in touch and let us know how you are going. Xx