BCNA member speaks out on out-of-pocket costs

Options
Laura Crowden
Laura Crowden Member Posts: 109
edited August 2013 in Community news and events

BCNA member and Community Liaison Helen Williamson has spoken out about the extensive out-of-pocket costs she incurred after her breast cancer diagnosis.

The article 'Out of pocket and in trouble' published in today's Age and Sydney Morning Herald newspapers tackles the issue of health affordability ahead of the 2013 Federal Election.

You can read the full article online via The Age website.

The article also breifly mentions BCNA's 2012 survey into MRI costs which found one in 10 women refuse a recommended MRI because it is 'too expensive'.

BCNA is advocating for the next Federal Government to reduce the financial burden of breast cancer. You can read more about advocacy to improve support for women and families affected by breast cancer in our 2013 Federal Election Submission.

Thank you to Helen for her willingness to share her experience and speak out on this important issue.

Laura

Comments

• annie58
    annie58 Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had early detected DCIS, a masectomy and didnt need followup treatment. I consider myself to be very lucky.I chose to have the other breast off and a double reconstruction. I have private health with BUPA who have been great.

When my out of pocket expenses got to $10,000 I stopped counting. My main expense was travelling to the city 5hours away. The accomodation expense was huge and PATS doesnt really help much.  Being sick when you live in the country is very costly and everything seems to take longer.

Thankyou for sharing this article.

• Julia44
    Julia44 Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had a combo of public and private care over the last 2 years, and think i would have spent at least 20,000, not to mention the probably $80000 that I have lost in wages and superannuation over this period.  Pretty hard to recover from financially too.

Julia

• Julia44
    Julia44 Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had a combo of public and private care over the last 2 years, and think i would have spent at least 20,000, not to mention the probably $80000 that I have lost in wages and superannuation over this period.  Pretty hard to recover from financially too.

Julia

• LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have read this article and lots of the comments at the end. I personally have nothing but praise for the public system that we pay for via our medicare levy. My husband and I many years ago decided against private health insurance due to the gap fees back then.

I have gone public through my whole BC drama since June 2012 and have only paid for an MRI and plastic surgeon consults. I have had a pretty normal BC experience, 3 (soon to be 4) surgeries, chemo 6 months, no radio but a public clinic has just been bought to my region (thank you govt), my waiting times have been completely reasonable for someone with cancer and really only limited by the number of times the surgeon has the operating rights at the hospital. I am on a waiting list now for revision surgery that has reduced from 12 months to 6 months because the hospital is dealing with the demand. I got a new wig (to borrow) for free through the Wigwam at the hospital.

I know some people have drugs that are not covered  by medicare especially with advanced disease, and I cant imagine how distressing it would be to have your health compromised by limited financial capacity or distance to facilities but I cant help but think that we should be happy that in our country we have a choice.

The other thing I have praise for are the surgeons who work in both public and private hospitals. So we not only have choice of public or private, but its often the same surgeons. And if you are covered by insurance, you can still choose public.

Louie :)

• LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have read this article and lots of the comments at the end. I personally have nothing but praise for the public system that we pay for via our medicare levy. My husband and I many years ago decided against private health insurance due to the gap fees back then.

I have gone public through my whole BC drama since June 2012 and have only paid for an MRI and plastic surgeon consults. I have had a pretty normal BC experience, 3 (soon to be 4) surgeries, chemo 6 months, no radio but a public clinic has just been bought to my region (thank you govt), my waiting times have been completely reasonable for someone with cancer and really only limited by the number of times the surgeon has the operating rights at the hospital. I am on a waiting list now for revision surgery that has reduced from 12 months to 6 months because the hospital is dealing with the demand. I got a new wig (to borrow) for free through the Wigwam at the hospital.

I know some people have drugs that are not covered  by medicare especially with advanced disease, and I cant imagine how distressing it would be to have your health compromised by limited financial capacity or distance to facilities but I cant help but think that we should be happy that in our country we have a choice.

The other thing I have praise for are the surgeons who work in both public and private hospitals. So we not only have choice of public or private, but its often the same surgeons. And if you are covered by insurance, you can still choose public.

Louie :)