Oncologist appointment

Options
tammyp26
tammyp26 Member Posts: 54
edited April 2012 in General discussion
I finally have my oncologist (chemo doctor) appointment for next Friday. I believe they like to start chemo within 6 weeks of first surgery so as I'm approaching that date it may be soon after that chemo begins.

I'm crapping myself about chemo - big breath! Anyway I guess at least knowing what to expect will be better than hanging out in limbo land. I am enjoying the beautiful Easter weather though and making the most of feeling mostly well (still sore from surgery though).

If anyone reading has some advice re questions to ask at first oncology appointment I'd appreciate it.

Cheers
Tammy

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tammy,  Yes your head must be spinning at the moment.  Chris is very good with her advice of taking a support person with you - however make sure that the Oncologist addresses YOU - keeping eye contact with you.  Whenever I took my hubby to my Medical Oncologist appt, I was invisible!!!  (I realised later that it was his personality)  Take your list of questions with you and don't leave until you feel that they have been answered properly.  You will find lots to ask and it will all fit into place.  My saying these days is "Just go with the flow".  If you forget to ask something, you have many options available to you :  do a search online here, ask the oncology nurses or if you are in a support group there are "many who have gone before you" .  Good luck XLeonie

• helena
    helena Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tammy

All good advice so far.

Also, find a notebook that you can set up with all the info you will need for your records.  I had a cover page with all contact details for doctors, medicare number, next of kin etc.  You will fill in a lot of forms over the time to come.

Then I kept a running record of appointments with my notes.  In the back I had questions to ask at upcoming appointments.

One day at a time and accept all the help you are offered.

Helen

• helena
    helena Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tammy

All good advice so far.

Also, find a notebook that you can set up with all the info you will need for your records.  I had a cover page with all contact details for doctors, medicare number, next of kin etc.  You will fill in a lot of forms over the time to come.

Then I kept a running record of appointments with my notes.  In the back I had questions to ask at upcoming appointments.

One day at a time and accept all the help you are offered.

Helen