Port insertion delay

Captain
Captain Member Posts: 1 New Member
I’ve started my chemo through the veins as the first port insertion appointment my oncologist can get me with her team is 6 weeks into my 12 weeks of chemo. My veins are quite small and I’d like to find an alternative provider for this procedure. My breast surgeon will do it but only with a full anaesthetic. With a family history of altzheimers disease, I’m keen to have as few general anaesthetics as possible. I have asked if there are any other options available and have been told no. I feel I need to explore this as it seems unlikely that there are only two people who can do this. Any suggestions? 

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    Welcome to the forum @Captain - feel free to tell us a bit more about your story so far ... what BC you have, any surgeries and any other treatments?  

My husband had dementia & needed a portacath for his cancer treatment & they inserted it with a 'twilight' anaesthetic, where he was 'sort of' awake .... but not fully under, so ask your surgeon for that option.  If they can't do it, there should be other surgeons who can do it (tho they obviously need to be proficient at it.)  The surgeon that did my husband's was not a breast surgeon.  Ask to be referred to the other person - or just ring their rooms & ask if they do 'twilight' fitting? .... You may even need to go to a different hospital for it too - we did, as our local hospital didn't have anyone qualified to do it.

Check out this post for a bit more info on the forum that may help you navigate your way around it ....
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-new-online-network-members#latest

take care & all the best xx
  • Coastiejas
    Coastiejas Member Posts: 92
    Hi @Captain
    I had a portacath inserted before my chemo. Mine was done by a vascular surgeon under twilight sedation... I don't remember a thing! I went home the same day. Maybe ask your team if there are other options as well as I know some ladies have a picc line inserted instead of a portacath (for various reasons) and that may not require a general anisthetic to be inserted. 
    Best wishes for your treatment. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,469
    I am a public patient but could not mentally cope with the idea of having a port inserted with the same team who inserted one four years earlier. So I gathered what money I could, and went to a private hospital. They put in an arm port and it cost me $2500 out of pocket. My mum dug into her savings and paid $1800 of that. I would have starved to raise the money if I had to.

@Coastiejas made the PICCline suggestion which would be a good option to discus with your doctor.