Psychiatrist / Psychologist Needed - Melbourne

Hi All, 
I had a lumpectomy due to 3 types of breast cancers in my right breast. But for the last 18 months i haven't been able to work due to my mental health. I am looking for a Psychiatrist and a Psychologist to help me get back to normal. Does anyone have any experience with someone they can recommend in Melbourne please? Really struggling. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you 

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,710
    edited August 12
    I personally don't know of one however here's a link to the BCNA website 

https://www.bcna.org.au/services-and-support-groups/

Put in Psychologist and see what maybe near you

In the meantime there's the BCNA helpline

Take care
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,444
    Hello @happy007, best to ask your GP or oncologist for a referral. They could suggest someone who can specifically support your needs. We all need that support from time to time but it would be good to find someone who has experience with breast cancer issues. If you had a breast care nurse, they too may be able to suggest someone for you. Best wishes 
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 1,095

Hi @happy007

Below is an article from our flagship information resource, My Journey that delves into the process of accessing mental health support via your GP or treatment team: GP Management Plans, Team Care Arrangements, and Mental Health Treatment Plans
    https://myjourney.org.au/article/25284

You may also find the below My Journey articles supportive:

Cancer Council Victoria Cancer Counselling Service offers an opportunity to talk with nurse counsellors and psychologists who can help you with cancer-related challenges. To discuss a referral or your support options call Cancer Council 13 11 20. They also provide the Cancer Connect program, available for people with cancer to connect with a peer for telephone-based support. To find out more about the program, eligibility and referral process, contact their team on 13 11 20 or by email.

Peter Mac’s Cancer Mind Care Is a free, self-help online platform offering tailored mental health support for people with cancer, their support persons, clinicians, and First Nations. Accessible online, Australia wide www.cancermindcare.org.au

You may be able to find a suitable psychologist via the service finder on the Australian Psychological Society website. Link https://psychology.org.au/

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,573
    Hello,
    I was also struggling a lot in the midst of it, so I asked my oncologist if they could supply me with one, and he said yes. I was at the Kinghorn Cancer Centre in Sydney, and they offer free psychologists for the first two years from diagnosis. (They did then actually, not sure now). The psychologist I got was fantastic and she helped me a lot. She was also trained for childhood trauma which was extra beneficial. 
    You could also ask your oncologist or surgeon the same, and see what they say, depending at what kind of centre you’re being treated. It would be so helpful if you could get one for free too.