Completing Hormone Therapy

I was wondering what others experiences have been completing hormone therapy for early breast cancer? I have another year of tamoxifen to go and wondering what to expect in terms of follow up once it is completed. I underwent a bilateral mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction. I haven't had chemo or radiotherapy.

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,675
    How long have you been on Tamoxifen?  Has your Oncologist suggested 5 or 10 years?  Mine was 5 years initially but abt 2 years in that changed to 10 years.  Down to 11 months to go!
  • Dh5Wy83
    Dh5Wy83 Member Posts: 19
    iserbrown I have been on tamoxifen for 4 years. The oncologist recommended 5 years. What made your doctor decide to change from 5 years to 10 years? I am also wondering what check ups are needed once it is completed- do people continue to see the oncologist or GP or do they stop check ups all together? My surgeon has told me I don't require mammograms or MRI as all the breast tissue was removed during the mastectomy. When I get to the 5 year mark I won't see the surgeon any more.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,675
    Lucky you, 5 years!  For me I would've been happy with 5 as initially suggested.   However, trials were completed and 10 was the answer!

https://www.bcna.org.au/resource-hub/articles/hormone-blocking-therapy/

The link above speaks of why 5 or 10.  
    Take care

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,969
    I'm 'in-between' you two - suggested 5 years but extended to 7 years - so I finish next year @Dh5Wy83

Re follow up (after you finish wth Tamoxifen) - Just keep an eye open for any 'unusual' aches or pains or lump & bumps ....

If you find anything that is concerning you at ANYTIME (before or after you finish the meds) ... make sure you contact your GP/Onc for scans to determine if it could be sinister or (preferably) not.

Take care & all the best
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,403
    I was on letrozole - 10 years, finished over a year ago. I keep up yearly checks with my oncologist and biennially with my surgeon. But as @arpie says, anything at all out of whack, I get it checked. Just as there seems to be no such thing as someone 'who would never get cancer', there is absolutely no guarantee you can't get it twice. But forewarned is forearmed. No medical professional worth their salt will consider getting something checked silly or panicky. My experience has been that such checks have been rare (and nothing bad discovered!) but they are worth the time and cost for peace of mind and an early fix if required - my surgeon is a whiz at lumps and recommended (and did) a mole removal I hadn't thought about. It wasn't cancerous but he felt it might go that way. We learn a lot while going through cancer treatment - worth keeping that learning in mind afterwards. Best wishes. 
  • Mightystar
    Mightystar Member Posts: 35
    I finish tamoxifen in 2 weeks after 5 years, 44 years old. I am excited but thinking about what will be different. There doesn’t seem to be much written and my surgeon just says it’s nothing to worry about. Am sure it isn’t, but curious… A period ‘normal’ again? Will I become super emotional? Will losing weight be a little easier? 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 2,054
    Thanks @Dh5Wy83 and @Mightystar for asking these questions. And thanks @iserbrown for the article. I am seven years down the track taking the  hormone blocking Anastrozole. I don't remember what I was told: presume I'll keep going to the ten year mark and consult then. 

to you all from jennyss in Western NSW