Arimidex no longer listed on pbsmedecines

Helen22
Helen22 Member Posts: 7
Hi everyone. Just went to the chemist to pickup my script for arimidex(I’ve been on it for the last 3 years).:The. Chemist informed me it’s no longer listed on the pbs and I will need to change my script.
i am reluctant to change to a different medication as although arimidex has lots of unpleasant side effects at least I know I can tolerate them and I only have another two years to go.
Has anyone else been told this and does anyone know the reasoning behind this decision?

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,935
    Hello @Helen22 - I am not on that but I know with some of my medications I can still get them but at an additional cost.  The PBS apparently only covers generic brands.  Do you know how much they are to be now ?  I stay on my brand and pay about $5 extra as it is worth that for the peace of mind, knowing it suits me.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    I stopped taking Arimidex brand about 2+ years ago - when I suddenly had to pay the extra $5 to 'get it' on top of the PBS fee ..... and have been on Anastrozole ever since (same ingredients, different name) and have been quite happy with it - no additional side effects .... possibly even less!! 

Yep - it shows as being deleted on the PBS website here!! 
    https://www.pbs.gov.au/browse/changes#1371579-del

You can try ringing around different chemists, they may still have some stock available - but if you've just recently filled your prescription, it would be more expensive again ....  
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 851
    @Helen22 like arpie when Arimidex  came off the pbs and the cost to me went up my chemist knew my situation told me of the change. He didn’t ask for a new script just switched me to the anastrozole said make sure my gp knew about change in PBS it hasn’t made any difference to my side effects. Likewise when Ibrance stopped production of the capsule to pill only a slight adjustment in side effects actually for the better with that one. I think this all has to do with who gets the contract to supply for pbs drugs. It’s mostly to do with what the drug is. Sometimes the filler could be different. I get sozol for my reflux on script instead of buying nexium over the counter. Hope they dont stop covering that one like the did with my antihistamine. I cant just grab anything off the shelf Im told which one i can have  mostly because its a long term med i need to take. I rarely walk out of the chemist under $80 and thats on pension card. 
    50% of the other stuff is not on script its all to counteract side effects and other health issues. 
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 1,095
    edited June 20

Hi @Helen22

As June1952, Arpie and cranky_granny expressed above; we are aware that AstraZeneca have taken their product Arimidex off the market as of 1 June 2024.

The active ingredient in Arimidex is anastrozole which is one of the 3 aromatase inhibitors (AI’s) used in breast cancer treatment, usually used as adjuvant therapy for 5-10 years. However, there are generic versions of this drug so there shouldn't be any implications for you.

It just means that you will need to swap to a different brand. In this case, the Arimidex branded anastrozole will no longer be available, but other generic brands of anastrozole will still be available.

If you are unsure please chat with your treating team

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 2,067
    Hello @Helen22,
    I have been taking Anastrozole; packaged as 'APO-Anastrozole' with 30 tablets in each packet, and made by Apotex Pty Ltd, for seven years now with no problems. I hope this may be a good option for you.

from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Bear04
    Bear04 Member Posts: 1
    Helen22 said:
    Hi everyone. Just went to the chemist to pickup my script for arimidex(I’ve been on it for the last 3 years).:The. Chemist informed me it’s no longer listed on the pbs and I will need to change my script.
    i am reluctant to change to a different medication as although arimidex has lots of unpleasant side effects at least I know I can tolerate them and I only have another two years to go.
    Has anyone else been told this and does anyone know the reasoning behind this decision?
    Hi Helen, I have been on ARIMIDEX for 4 years with little side effects. So annoying it has been stopped. I am looking at the brand APO Anastrozole also brand Sandoz Anastrozole, both manufactured in Australia. I contacted my Oncologist she was happy with either, I am seeing my breast surgeon next week I will discuss it with her also. I still have some ARIMIDEX to use up. Also I noticed now that Anastrozole in on the Australian Government PBS listing allowing you 60 day prescription, saves going back monthly. 
    ( The sponsor ASTRAZENECA of ARIMIDEX took it off the market 31may 2024, the reason Commercial Changes/ Commercial Viability. They also stated that all Generic brands Anastrozole have the same ingredients. Good luck with finding another medication 🤗 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    edited August 6
    Hi @Bear04, Welcome to the forum!!    Yes, my recent script from my Onc is for the 2 x monthly supply - so will save us money in the long run - and all going well, you shouldn't 'run out'.  I was really annoyed when they stopped Arimidex, as I'd been going quite well on it for 3-4 years - and prior to that there was an additional $5 charge (on top of the PBS) to fill the script too, which was ALSO very annoying!  grr

Feel free to tell us a bit about yourself - which type of BC you were diagnosed with & what surgery & treatment you've had - it can then become a bit of a 'diary' for you too!  You could post in 'Newly Diagnosed' and then replies will all be related to you & your post ;)
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/categories/newly-diagnosed

You may like to check out this post that has info on other areas in the blog that you may be interested in - we show off our arts & craft, gardens, furkids, and all sorts of other stuff - and we even have some 'funny' posts, too (as well as 'wise words') to give us a lift when we need it xx
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-new-online-network-members#latest

take care