Help - best dinners to freeze

Options
Kirsten_BCNA
Kirsten_BCNA Staff Posts: 57
edited February 2012 in General discussion

Hi everyone - it is fantastic to be back in the Pink after having my son, Oscar. 

Now - I need a little help from my friends!  A  girlfriend and I were chatting last night about the best meals that will freeze.

She was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and has been well supported by family and friends but is COMPLETELY over spag bol and lasagna.

So I said I would reach out to our Network and ask for suggestions of the best meals that we can provide for the freezer.  That way I can let everyone else know what else they can cook for her.

I got the ball rolling by taking us back to the 80's with a bit of Apricot Chicken.

Cant wait to hear what you love or loved to have in your freezer!

Looking forward to hearing from you

Kirsten

Comments

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was lucky enough early on to have a friend who set up a roster of meal delivery.  That way none of it really ever needed freezing.  We had an esky at the fron door so no-one would have to disturb me if I was resting. Some of the best were hot roast dinners being delivered to my door and just needing popping in the oven to keep warm. Others delivered all the bits ready to go so it was just a matter of cooking up - no preparation - a favourite here was tacos or chicken schnitzels with salad and fresh veges.

I also loved chicken soup, vegetable and minestrone soups.  Other favourites that the girls liked were Fish Pie, chicken casseroles, beef guiness casserole.They especially loved stuffed potatoes, honeyed carrots and nice fresh bread.  My son would eat none of it because I hadn't cooked it - we sometimes quickly put everything into our pots and pans so he would think I had cooked it but he wasn't easily fooled. 

I was lucky to have it coordinated - my friend did this over email and everyone checked so as not to double up and I provided a list of family favourites and things the kids disliked - this worked well.

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Beef or chicken curry with rice portions freezers well.Even just freezing the rice and then all you have to do is a stir fry to go with it.My daughter is a vegetarian and I'll sometimes make a batch of falafel balls or lentil/bean patties and freeze them.So if she is tired and late home from work then she can just heat them up and add a salad. When the lift was being repaired at my mum's unit block she ordered "lite and easy" for a week so she didn't have to lug groceries up 3 fights of stairs.It was reasonably priced too.

Tonya xx

• KymB
    KymB Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi KP - great that you are back in the pink. 

We occasionally get meals from Katrina's Kitchen in Murrumbeena (website www.katrinaskitchen.com.au).  They have a good selection of ready-made meals that you can just pop in the freezer.  Prices are reasonable and the meal sizes are decent.  While the food isn't wildly exiciting, they are very handy to have in the freezer when you are feeling tired, or want meals to take to someone, but don't have time (or skills) to cook.  They deliver also.

As far as home-made foods, I have found casseroles and soups freeze the best.  A hearty soup with lots of vegies and meat or chicken is always a good option to freeze.  It's also easy to heat up and easy on the mouth, if you have ulcers.

Hope that helps. Cheers. Kym :)

• KymB
    KymB Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi KP - great that you are back in the pink. 

We occasionally get meals from Katrina's Kitchen in Murrumbeena (website www.katrinaskitchen.com.au).  They have a good selection of ready-made meals that you can just pop in the freezer.  Prices are reasonable and the meal sizes are decent.  While the food isn't wildly exiciting, they are very handy to have in the freezer when you are feeling tired, or want meals to take to someone, but don't have time (or skills) to cook.  They deliver also.

As far as home-made foods, I have found casseroles and soups freeze the best.  A hearty soup with lots of vegies and meat or chicken is always a good option to freeze.  It's also easy to heat up and easy on the mouth, if you have ulcers.

Hope that helps. Cheers. Kym :)

• Kirsten_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Am loving all the ideas - thank you soooo much

x

• Kirsten_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Am loving all the ideas - thank you soooo much