Chemo almost done...next is surgery. Hair growth questions.

Options
Cheri
Cheri Member Posts: 25
edited February 1 in General discussion
Hi all, it's been a little while, hope you all doing well and this year brings you all good health and happiness.

I am almost done with my chemo (AC and 12 weeks paclitaxel, 4 perjeta and another one (not sure of name), 2 more infusions of paclitaxel. Did anyone find bits of fluffy hair starting to grow already? I don't want to get too excited but am starting to notice some growth.

Anxious and excited about my appointment tomorrow with the surgeon to discuss surgery options and how the tumors have responded to the chemo. Any advice would be appreciated.

Still awaiting genetic testing results.

Now the fun part. We have a family wedding in October this year and some other events and I am very excited for my hair to start growing. Any tips or advice. Scalp treatment or oils etc vitamins. Should I have a shave after chemo so the hair grows evenly and also what kind of length can I expect in 6 months or so. How did you hair grow?

Lastly. If anyone is based in Sydney  and would want to meet for a chat, support, pray , let me know. Would love to meet some ladies, we can encourage each other. Can direct message me if you like.

Thanks and look forward to hearing your progress xxx

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,374
    Options
    My hair started growing back when I was still on paclitaxel. I didn’t want to shave it or do much more than treat it very gently ( mild shampoo, treat the scalp kindly) but once I had a reasonable growth (rate of growth varies, mine was quite slow compared to a friend on the same path), frequent trims kept it in shape and seemed to help growth. Don’t be too alarmed or settled with hair for at least the first 12 months - colour, texture and degree of curl can and often will change! Look at it as a bit of an adventure! Some prefer to colour or change their hair but I was interested in how it changed without assistance. The chalk white, poodle frizz was a bit much, the curls a sudden but quite enjoyable change from my normally poker straight hair but gradually my hair settled. I did find that about 12 months later, my shed rate (almost zero before, extremely thick hair) changed quite suddenly - no idea why, may have been coincidental. Shed rate is now perfectly normal. Best wishes. 
  • Cheri
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback @Afraser, appreciate it x
  • Katie46
    Katie46 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    I have just lost my hair, although I still have a bit of fuzz left, and still have my eyebrows and eyelashes  but assume they'll eventually go. I've been using johnson baby sampoo, and coconut oil every few days, which seems to work for me. I added the coconut oil as my scalp was a little dry, and it seems to have solved that problem, and can possibly help with regrowth. If does nothing more than soothe my scalp, it smells nice too 🙂
  • Cheri
    Options
    Thanks @Katie46, will definitely get some coconut oil. Everything of the best with the rest of your treatment x