Zoladex or Tamoxifen or nothing

Options
Hello from a newbie. Last November I was diagnosed with early stage lobial hormone positive breast cancer. I’ve since had a lumpectomy and having radiation soon. I’m 49 pre menopausal and had a month on zoladex. I’m unhappy with the the side effects so my oncologist suggested I could try tamoxifen instead. From what I have read the side effects could be the same or worse. I understand that every human body will respond differently but my hair is falling out. I’m having headaches, have put on weight already etc etc. I wonder if I’m better off on no hormone therapy for quality of life. Or is one of the therapies better than the other. I’m confused and also feel a bit ridiculous asking this question when I appreciate my treatment options could be worse. Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you 

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Hi @Sunnydays, try tamoxifen. It may prove completely seamless for you and you may experience no side effects. Just give it a go.  These decisions are not easy to make. I am guessing your oncologist wants to keep you on some form or hormone suppression for a reason. Is that reason to reduce the chances of cancer returning?

You probably need to weigh up what those chances are and any side effects you may get. Until you try tamoxifen you won't know if you will even get side effects. Most people don't have any side effects from it as it is largely well tolerated by most people. 

One thing I know is you don't want cancer back. It's even worse side effects from that treatment when it returns. Give it a go is my advice but really it's your decision and your dr's.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Hi @Sunnydays
    ( love the name!) , try the drug you may not have side effects or they may be tolerable.
    There is always the weighing up of side effects on this drug versus what if the cancer comes back as stage 4?
    it’s worth a go in my books.