Hospital bag

Options
kyles1
kyles1 Member Posts: 15
edited November 2023 in Newly diagnosed
Good morning Ladies.
I'm heading into hospital this Tuesday for my lumpectomy and lymph nodes to be done..My head is all over the place with what lies ahead of me ..
Im really not sure what I need to be packing ,I have button pjs for easy access to drains ect and a few other things but I'm really struggling with what a may need as I wasn't given a list of anything..
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated please Xx🩷🩷

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    https://www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au/information-sheets.html

The link above, info sheets,  What to Pack for Hospital 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,603
    Options
    All the best, @kyles1 .... here is a link where members have mentioned lots of bits that they took with them ...
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/16442/prep-for-surgery/p1

I found the 'airline pack' of ear plugs and eye mask to be invaluable - as hospitals are incredibly bright & noisy places, even at night time.  ;)   These ones are brilliant - squish them to pencil thickness & shove them in - they then 'fill up' the space nicely.

Magazines & puzzles are often better than books too - as there are too often many interruptions to be able to maintain concentration required for a good book.  

take care

• GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 66
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I had my lumpectomy on 2 November with hook wires prior to the the operation. Stayed overnight. Everything went well except having nausea and vomiting. They said it is " normal" and is a result of anesthetic. Happy it is over for now. Seeing my BS in 10 days. I brought with me my post surgery bra from Kmart which is absolutely fantastic and comfortable. My McGrath nurse visited me and gave me a bag for drain, showed me how to exercise and we had a nice chat. When the doctors visited me after the operation,  I asked them to send me a Breast care nurse and they did while I was still in hospital. . 
  • Tarma
    Tarma Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Hey @kyles1 😊 

I have no idea what you might need lol but im off to get my Lumpectomy and nodes done next month , so I'll be reading the replies you get 😃 hope that's ok?  And how are you going lovely  ? 
  • AnnieMichelle_123
    AnnieMichelle_123 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi there! All the very best for your surgery day. I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy back in mid July. I over packed! LOL. Anyhow, what I forgot was to bring my own stash of peppermint tea or whatever tea you love to drink. The offerings are limited in hospital in that department. Take the things that comfort and soothe you. All the very best
  • arpie
    Options
    I can relate to that, @AnnieMichelle_123- I think most of us overpack ... I know I did (as I do for holidays as well! LOL)

Absolutely - make sure you do have your preferred hot drinks, nibbles & lollies (if you have a sweet tooth .. ) and all the cords needed for your phone/ipad/electronics ..... 

• arpie
    Options
    All the best for your recovery, @kyles1 xx   The under arm pillow is a 100% necessity!    Hug the cushion on your way home in the car too - as any jolts/bumps can cause discomfort too xx

take care
  • kyles1
    Options
    Thankyou @arpie it's definitely my saviour where I go it goes xx
  • TamiOc
    TamiOc Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello everyone, I was diagnosed 8 days ago. I have surgery on 20 Nov. I am having lymph node removal but not 100% sure if we are doing lumpectomy (potentially on 3 lumps, 2 are cancer, still waiting on results for 3rd) and full mastectomy. 

Do I need to buy any special type of bra to take into hospital with me? 
  • kyles1
    Options
    Hi @TamiOc Im 8 days post Op I had large lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed I  bought my ones from Kmart there soft and padded and zip up at the front .There the ones my breast care nurse recommended and there a lot easier to put on after surgery .Could be different for a mastectomy though 
    Goodluck with your op 
    Kylie x
  • GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 66
    Options
    I had my appointment yesterday after large lumpectomy and multiple lymph nodes removed which was performed on the 2 November. Very disappointed to hear that the pathology test showed positive margins. Re-excision or mastectomy was offered to me. Opted for re-excision. Still looking for something positive to hear if there is anything positive through these journeys that we are going through. It is strange talking about another surgery when I am still recovering from the first. 
  • kyles1
    Options
    Hi @GorgyS.Im sorry to hear about your results and that you at looking at more surgery.Im 8 days post Op and I'm still in a terrible amount of pain so I wish I could give you some positive thoughts..
    I think all the of our journeys take a lot of courage and strength to get through this ..
    I feel very lucky that we all have each other to lean on and vent to and we can all understand it as we are all on similar paths .
    Feel free to message me if you need to talk ,I definitely don't have all the answers but I'm more then happy to chat or to just listen 
    Kylie x