Bike riding after latimus dorsi flap and implant sugery

Options
Active
Active Member Posts: 14
edited February 2023 in General discussion
Hi, I’ve had a mastectomy and am wondering if I can still bike ride if I have LD flap and breast implant? Can anyone tell me how much strength they loose in their arm too please

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Hi @Active - Welcome to the group!!  

How long ago did you have your surgery?   I really think you should check with your surgeon before you hop onto the bike, as, depending on circumstances on the bike, you can put quite a bit of pressure onto your whole arms, which may be impacted by your still healing surgery area.  Any sudden movement (if you had to swerve to miss someone) could possibly cause a setback ... so please check before you go out on the bike. 

If you have an inside stationary bike - that would possibly be better when you DO start as you don't get  as much pressure with the arms.  You could even almost sit 'upright' and just 'spin' ..... but keep it gentle too, until you get the go ahead from the surgeon for more strenuous exercise.

take care
  • Active
    Options
    thanks, I had the implant using my own skin over 5 years ago.  Sadly my implant has failed . I’m wondering once I’ve had LD flap sugery and recovered if I can still ride
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Bummer about the failed implant :(   You may even see a physio after surgery too - they would be able to help you with when you can jump on the bike again too xx

I would think that once you've had the surgery & get the OK it should be fine - but they DO advise NO STRENUOUS exercise for a good 2 months - so maybe add another month to that, to be sure, to be sure! ....

I just googled it (wasn't sure what LD was!) .... 

How long does it take to heal from flap surgery?

Recovery after DIEP flap surgery can take 
    six to eight weeks. Your surgeon may ask you to wear a compression garment around your chest or abdomen for several weeks. You'll need to avoid strenuous activities, heavy lifting or overhead movements.

Take care & all the best with the surgery 
  • Leone88
    Leone88 Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Im in WA - we have surgeons here using skin flaps from outer & inner thigh & hip area - PAP, LAP & SGAP. Ive had dbl scarless lat dorsi 8yrs ago - the upper back is weaker but other muscles take over if u train them. Id think to comfortably ride for a longtime you would need to work up to it - strength training at the gym.  
  • Active
    Options
    Thanks so much
  • Active
    Options
    Hi Leonne88,
    can you give me an idea of loss of use I would have in my arm?
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 482
    Options
    My Lat Dorsi was done May 2022, expanders changed for Implant October 2022.
    I can't imagine why I couldn't ride a bike. I feel quite normal, and haven't noticed any weaknesses.
    Perhaps you mean at a very competitive level?
    I don't know if this helps.
  • Active
    Options
    Thanks that really helps. I ride socially with my friends. My plastic surgeon wasn’t sure if my balance and arm strength would be effected. Thanks again for your comments
  • Active
    Options
    We ride about 50 km m tree times a week