Options
melfur
melfur Member Posts: 2 New Member
edited December 2022 in General discussion
All the things I forgot to ask my surgeon 
How long do you wear the compression bra 24/7 
When can I start cooking/cutting up vegetables etc 
when can I start housework 
when can I go back to work ( involves lifting and repetitive motion)
Any tips would be great.
my after care support has been 0 
I was in So much pain with a seroma that took 7 days to finally get drained when I finally saw surgeon I was exhausted and over it so forgot to ask these questions. 
Any info greatly appreciated 

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Hi @melfur, can you phone your surgeon or their receptionist to get that advice? We are all different and it might be better to get that advice from them or your breast care nurse if you had one. I know you mentioned lack of support but was that the nurse or dr or hospital. Feedback to them is important. Also if you have a GP you could discuss with them too.  I hope your pain eases. Best wishes 
  • melfur
    melfur Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Options
    Hi
    After a week of calling and leaving messages, being told if I’m worried call the breast care nurse or call your gp or go to A&E   Of which I did all 3, to be left to it again I feel defeated. 
    You only get an answer machine and it takes days for a response, if at all. I thought I’d ask here but I’ll leave a message on the machine and hope I get a response I guess. 
    The breast care rang a week before the surgery, when I was in hospital but nothing since discharge.. it’s really fend for yourself. 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    My main concern when I came home was when I would get the all clear to drive! 

Everything else if I could manage it I did it, meaning housework etc.  I did cut and cook, (although I had already made some meals and had them in the freezer), and did everything on my own (no choice really, as I live on my own), but I did get a cleaner in for 2 hours (one off) to do vaccuming. By memory I think I started driving my car at 4 weeks after double surgery and lymph node clearance.  I did also get HITH (hospital in the home), so a nurse came every day for about 10 days to check the drains and change dressings.  I also kept up all the physio exercises that I was given instructions to do because I had a full axilliary clearance on one side, and partial on the other armpit. 

I never got a call from a breast care nurse either, but I was having HITH to come and check on my drains, so they could gauge how I was coping and report back.  It can be an isolating experience if you don't have that support from the medical team so that you can be reassured.  Perhaps even call Cancer Council as they have trained nurses that could put your mind at ease, especially if you are not getting any answers to the messages you are leaving.

Specific questions, like when you can return to your job may need the clearance from your surgeon, and also if you drive, best to get a clearance from your surgeon when it is safe to recommence driving again.  

If you had lymph nodes clearances, my guess is they would have given you the set of exercises to do three time a day.  I did those exercises "religiously" and I credit that to my success in getting a very good range of movement back in my arms in 14 days after my surgery when I met up again with my surgeon.  This is about you, I understand, but I am giving you an idea of how a part of my road to recovery went.  I hope it helps you somewhat. 

Take care and other members may come along to give you their feedback also. xx

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Wow @melfur that is terrible. Sorry you had to have that experience. As @Keeping_positive1 said for work you probably need a medical clearance. Did you have a medical certificate that provides a reasonable time off for your type of work? I would be calling your dr receptionist to ask for answers. It just isn't good enough to be left as you have been. I would also be phoning your hospital and giving patient care feedback too. Most hospitals have a patient liaison service. You got some advice above  which is helpful. I am sorry I can't help further. I had different circumstances to yours. 
  • Fufan
    Fufan Member Posts: 123
    Options
    My sympathies, @melfur, I too got zero support from the breast care nurse, and felt quite alone.  Doctor’s receptionists, too, can be very difficult to get past.  Keep pushing!
    One piece of advice I would add for your future is to write everything down. Write down questions as they occur to you.  We are none of us at our most alert going through this, and I found by the time I was through my treatment I had pages of notes which I have found invaluable. Good luck!