Questions updated

Options
Thank you Cath62, iserbrown, Julez1958, AllyJay, Afraser & anyone else who may have submitted a comment to my question. It took me 3 weeks to come to my decision, BUT, then I read your posts of encouragement only 3 hours before my surgeon app. It hit me hard about the hormone blockers, so I've bit the bullet. Will give it a try for a short period. IF there are any side effects, then that's it. Booked in for single mastectomy 30th Sep, then some recon in 6 months. I feel good. Any suggestions for recovery etc would be much appreciated. Plus again I wish to thank you. 

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Good on you!

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Worth the shot, well done! I found the mastectomy very straightforward, no pain, good mobility in my arm very quickly. The location of the cancer and digging around (metaphorically!) for any lymph nodes can make a difference, but the only difference I found with lymph nodes (17, the only malignant one was the previously biopsied one but a lot looked suss!) was losing feeling, particularly hot/cold, in my affected underarm. Luckily I don’t use hot wax! It’s largely recovered. The drains are a pain but it’s important that fluid is drained as far as possible so it’s worth putting up
    with. Best wishes for your surgery! 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Great you have made a decision you are comfortable with. Best wishes for your surgery and recovery.

Don't forget there are numerous hormone blockers and if one doesn't suit, try another. This really worked for me. Good luck @Cora
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Good on you - fingers & toes crossed that you are one of the ones who doesn't get side effects - or that they are at least, minimal & manageable!  

All the best for your surgery on the 30th - once it is 'out' - you'll be surprised at how much better you will feel - I was a bit of a basket case, going in to the hospital, but totally OK the next day, when I left.   Take care
  • noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    Options
    Hope you go ok on them .I was on femera first for 12 months or so, then swapped to aromasin .joint pains seemed to be less on aromasin and after a month break ( I was going to uluru and wanted to do hiking ) I restarted them recently and it’s effects less. Hope it continues ! Don’t rule out a change in A1 if one doesn’t suit you