Whirlwind!

Options
Bee79
Bee79 Member Posts: 3
Hello! I am 65 and have just been through the fastest week in my lifetime. I have never had any health issues and have stopped drinking and exercise etc etc, because my husband has PPMS and I am his carer.

Last Monday I was given the results of breast biopsies from the previous week - not good news - early stage breast cancer. On Tuesday morning I saw my GP who referred me to his preferred surgeon, who had an appt on Wed at 12.45pm (a cancellation). From that appt I was in theatre the next day (another cancellation - lucky) for a 'wide excision sentinel node biopsy and therapeutic mammoplasty'. From whoa to go in less than four days. I came home on Saturday once the drain was removed - such a relief, it was so painful!! 

Weirdly, I have had a premonition about this cancer. My amazing son and sister in law have stepped up, as have friends and family. I fee loved andl blessed but ...

* I feel strangely disconnected from my body and my life right now, and I am dreading the comedown and the fears creeping in...
* I am worrying about insignificant things like not being able to use deoderant - what did others do?

Thanks for reading - I can't seem to get traction on my thoughts or the future .... help!

x

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Welcome to the blog, @Bee79 - to the club that no-one really 'wants' to join!   Whack up any question about anything & we'll do our best to give you honest answers, from those who've gone before you xx

WOW!  What an absolute whirlwind!   But that is GOOD!  You didn't have time to really get too worried about it all & now it is 'out' & you are on the road to recovery, HOW GOOD IS THAT?  It is the speed of the process I think that may contribute to that 'disconnect feeling' ..... your brain's way of dealing with it, I think! 

Try not to overthink stuff - you'll get the full pathology report shortly & learn what (or if) any ongoing treatment will be ..... take someone with you to that meeting & even consider recording it, as it can be a big blur & you may not remember half of what was discussed.  

You can do a search at the top of the 'discussion page' on any topic - here are the results for the deodorant one ...... you may find something that suits you there xx
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/search?Search=deodorant

Feel free to jump onto this thread - it'll give you some tips on different areas in BCNA that you may like to look at (we are an artistic mob too! ;) ).... and also has some 'tick sheets' that you can fill in prior to meeting with your team, to guage your own feelings & pain levels etc.

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

I am so sorry to hear your Hubby has PPMS - that's a tough call.  I hope you have lots of support in your care of him as well, particularly just now as you are in recovery yourself.   We have a 'carers group' that you may like to join, as a few of us are either caring for others, or being cared for themselves. xx

If you put your town/region in your 'profile', we may have members nearby for a chat & coffee or services available to you in the area as you feel better & are getting out & about xx

Take care, all the best xx

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Dear @Bee79

Welcome to the network! You’d rather not be here, we understand, but we hope it’s helpful. In a curious way, while everyone’s experience is different, we all share a great deal. 

While some patients are chafing at weeks of waiting, like you I was a matter of days from first examination to mastectomy. One of the advantages is remarkably little time to
    think! I was 67.

So......one day at a time. You don’t have to get anything but today straight. There will be things to do, possibly more treatment, let it happen. It will, with very little direction from you. Just get used to what is, before spending precious energy on what might be. Gradually you will find your own preferred way through it, ultimately we all do. 

Small things, like deodorant, may assume significant presence. That’s OK too. Is the problem your wound? It will heal, just wash gently. Or are you worried about deodorant ingredients? Just choose something mild ( I use MooGoo). This site is a great place for asking what others have done in similar circumstances, no questions are silly questions. 

My surgeon told me, nearly ten years ago, ‘what causes cancer is still a mystery but we are getting much better at treating it’. Things have improved lots since that time too. You’d rather not have it, but an early diagnosis and rapid treatment is an excellent thing otherwise. Best wishes. 

• Bee79
    Bee79 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you so much - good to know that I am not the only one who went fast and furious! x
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Bee79,

from jennyss in Western NSW

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Good advice from the ladies above. Wishing you the very best. This group is great and don't hesitate to ask questions. No questions are every silly and no one judges here. Take care ❤💐
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    @Bee79 I sort of knew it would happen to me too. I'm still here 16 years later. Can't say it's all been smooth sailing, bit like all the other shit you have to deal with, it's possible. MXX