Medicare Threshold

Options
Julie A
Julie A Member Posts: 41
edited December 2011 in General discussion

I started radio therapy two weeks ago and have quickly learnt all about the Medicare threshold, as I’m having my treatment through a private company. As my treatment started in December 2011 and will carry over to January 2012. I will be out of pocket an extra $1157.00. I find this an injustice and appreciate there must be a line in the sand somewhere. However, it’s not as if you can stop and start this type of treatment when I wish. I feel there should be circumstances, such as radio therapy treatment where exceptions are considered.

I decided to go private, as Gold Coast does not have a public radio therapy service. Hard to believe based our the regions population. And I thought that I could rely on what I get back on Medicare (based on  the threshold). If I went public that would mean a daily drive to Brisbane. Which would also cost time and money. I have always worked and paid taxes and now that I would like something back I get told too bad, so sad. Is there anyway that BCNA can take up this issue, as it must affect a lot of us.

Comments

• Maxene_36
    Maxene_36 Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2015
    Options

I know exactly what you mean!  I'm also private and my out of pocket so far, without the radiation, is already in the thousands.   I've surpassed the Medicare threshold to 85%, and my private health insurer, who I have been with for over 10 years, have contributed less than my monthly subscription x 3 months. 

Another complete injustice (personally) is that I have a strong genetic history, and started having annual mamograms and ultrasounds a few years ago - all at my own expense (less a very small rebate from Medicare), but for the most part, the cost was between $600 and $800 per year, funded by yours truely.  I bore the cost because I simply couldn't not have the annual check.  It was hard enough being taken seriously at first (when I was in my 20's) - for a long time I had GP's telling me I was too young to be monitored, well, guess what?  Here I am.   

This forum in itself is proof that BC does not descriminate - why do we have to wait to turn 40 to be taken seriously and eligable for free testing?  Genetic history or not, these are issues that must be addressed.     

I too have worked since highschool, paid taxes and never collected any government benefit (apart from the baby bonus that's not means tested) - I have to take a week off work on each chemo round (no pay) which adds to my loss.   It's stressfull making ends meet - I haven't even started saving for an external prosthesis.  

I know there are many women and families doing it a LOT tougher financially, but these are issues that must be raised!! 

I have been advised to keep all my out of pocket receipts for tax time though, I am not sure how everything will be calculated - different tax bracket???

Anyway, that's my blah on the subject!   

Hope you travel well through your treatment  :-)

Maxene xx