Arimidex & Ferama now what ?? I can't deal with the sign affects HELP !!

Options
NatF
NatF Member Posts: 8
I am considering getting off these tablets now :( it's just the mental side of it that worries me now.  I was diagnosed at 40 years with Stage 2B breast cancer and 2 lymph nodes (however mirco-size 0.6mm) have been on Arimidex for 6 years nearly and stopped and had a month break and then went back on and feel absolutely terrible.  Saw oncologist and she suggested I try Ferama well that was worse was trying to vomit this morning and had a migraine.  And said to myself enough is enough just want to get back living.  Had to always take sleeping tablets on Arimidex and always just got through the day and worked full time as well.  Has anyone stopped and did you get a recurrence?  Spoke to a nurse and they said this tablet only gives you an extra 2%?  Any comments would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I haven’t stopped and I also don’t discount 2%. However as 5 years was the recommended extent until relatively recently, I ‘d be asking your oncologist about stats available (there may be none) on the difference between 6 and 10 years. If it’s even less than 2%, then it’s worth considering the option of discontinuing if you are prepared for the possibility of being in the percentage who get a recurrence. Tough decisions, but you are best placed to work out what you want most and what will worry you least. Best wishes whatever you decide. 
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Isn't it awful being almost held hostage to  these drugs out of fear of something that may never happen? The percentages everyone is given is only an average (something that's not really mentioned when they give you the stats)  So the percentage could be anywhere between 0 and 5. Funny huh? With the percentages I was given for surgery, chemo, rads and HT added together I actually have a 102% of it not coming back lol.

There are many people who have minimal side effects and get along fine.  There are those who suffer terribly but are too afraid to stop.  There are those who have stopped, get a recurrence and immediately blame themselves. Though they could not have known whether it would have come back or not the guilt and wondering remain to live with.
    Then there are those who have dilligently taken their drugs for the recommended time and still have it come back.  (That's the one that would tick me off the most). There are those who decided not to take the drugs at all.  Some get a recurrence and some live happily ever after.

Sometimes I think it's a bit ludicrous really.  Would I put my life savings on a racehorse at a 3% chance of a win? Would I follow her for a decade hoping one day she'd get up. She's  menopausal, sweaty, has bone aches, trouble getting out of the gates some days and a fat jockey but I keep throwing bets at her for that small chance she's gonna win and bring me riches for the rest of my life. 

So here I sit somewhere in the middle taking the drugs for 75% of the time and hedging my bets because I still do not have the balls to flick it totally....yet.
    None of that is really very helpful to you I know.  The question has no answer. It's totally and utterly up to you and that my sweet is the hardest part.

All the best with your decision.  xoxoxoxoxo

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,536
    Options
    @kezmusc I love your analogy, it really puts it in perspective. You’ve laid the situation out very clearly. As you said, these decisions are the absolute hardest, but your description of it helps make it a bit easier, for me anyway 😊